Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: My sons penis hole is elongated and inflamed.

the mom pru - Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:30 pm

My son is four months old and his penis hole is very elongated and looks as though some one tried to cut his penis in half. His penis hole has been red and inflamed for two days now and I took him to see his pcp however she says she does not know what to do. What could this be? My first son was born hypospadius and required surgery, could this be some variation of? thank you for any help you can offer. He is on no meds at the time to attribute this to.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:17 pm

User avatar Hi the mom pru,
From your description it does not sound like typical symptoms of hypospadias. Normally the urethral meatus (pee hole) is located at the tip of the penis. However, in a rather rare congenital abnormality as in, for example, epispadias, the opening is located on top rather than the tip of the penis. It may have the appearance of as if a knife was inserted into a normal meatus and sliced. Generally speaking, this is typically found at birth. Keep in mind that I am not implying this is the causative factor but regardless of the cause, I would strongly suggest an evaluation by a Urologist.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us