Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Pelvic area pain only at night?

 mikefromdel - Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Hello. I've been experiencing these sharp pains on my right side for over a year now. I have them for a week or so, then not, but they are becoming more regular. I have them at night only, when lying on my side. When I am up for the day, they go away completely, or lessen considerably. My right side pelvic area, between my pelvic bone and belly button, is the highest concentration of pain. It is not a constant pain, just a very sharp pain when I move.
As I said, this has been going on for 1-2 years now, but much more consistently the last month.
As for my history, I do have trouble urinating. I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate about 2 or 3 years ago, took Flomax for awhile, and couldn'tt afford the prescription any longer. It didn't seem to be helping anyway.
About 6 months ago I saw another urologist, he said that the enlarged prostate was not really the problem making me urinate so often. He said I had a blockage in my penis, so he did some sort of laser scope surgery inside my penis. He said he found a blockage and removed it. That also did me no good. I still urinate very small amounts, frequently. I get up about 3 times a night to urinate, usually small amounts. When I can't get to a bathroom , I do urinate with normal I don't think there ever was a blockage to start with.
My current medications are Keppra (2250 mg daily), 800 mg daily of Carbemazepine, both for seizures. I am also taking Lamictal for depression/seizures, but am weening myself off from 225 mg daily a month ago, and now I am at 75 mg daily. I don't drink at all but smoke excessively.
This pain has really worsened this past week. I'm not sure where to go because there are only a couple urologists around here and I don't drive.
Any advice would be appreciated.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:40 am

Please state your age. This is the first information required in every post.
Have you ever suffered from gonococcal urethritis? Untreated gonococcal urethritis may be complicated by urethral stricture some years later.
Has a PSA test been conducted on you? If so, please state the results.
Have you undergone any imaging investigation of the prostate gland, such as trans-rectal ultrasound scan (TRUS)?

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us