Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: problem with antibiotics

lilihelm - Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:18 pm

I'm 42, female and since having a leep procedure last March I have suffered from several uti. I was recently give cipro, and I experienced a bad reaction, as well as with levaquin. (became extremely anxious and sick feeling)l Cephzil made me itch, I'm getting really paranoid about antibiotics. Is there a milder type of antibiotic w/less side effects, or a natural alternative?
 Dr. N. Haider - Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:03 pm

User avatar Hi,

Like all medicines, antibiotics are chemicals. These chemicals have a certain role to kill other living things, in this case bacteria. For years on end, all effort is being made to make such compounds that do minimal harm to normal human cells and kill only the BAD ones. The effort has been successful, except that these drugs sometimes make us 'feel' sick, partly because they kill the good bacteria inside our body that have been manufacturing vitamins etc. This sickness goes off once you have completed the duration for which the medicine was prescribed. Some people experince mild symptoms...others may feel more. So don't worry, all this will end once you are off the medications.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us