Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Causes of enlarged Skene's Gland?

 findingthetrueme - Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:36 pm

I am 28 y/o, two children, no history of STD's or UTI's.
My dr. is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound because she said I had an enlarged Skene's gland.

What would cause this?

I first noticed it when I had trouble with penetration while having sex. If I bear down just a little bit, it literally will start to come out of me. I have no pain with this at all, no problems urinating.

Thank you in advance.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:16 am

User avatar Hi findingthetrueme,
A blocked/infected Skene's gland will cause enlargement. An enlarged Skene's gland or paraurethral cyst is typically identified upon examination by your physician due to its appearance. Enlargement typically reduces the size of the urethral opening and may cause pain with urination.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us