Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Extreme lasting pain after ejaculation

 Deeves - Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:14 pm

I am an 18 year old male not currently on medications. I have had two surgeries in my genital area, one when I was 8 to bring down an undecended testicle and one when I was 16 to fix a hydroseal hernia or however it's called. I do not know if that is relevant to the problem I am having.

Since December I have been medicated 3 times for pain while urinating and post-urination pain as well as sudden abdominal pain. The medications seemed to make the pain during urination go away(only after the third course) but it was still painful after urination and before when trying to start urinating. Ultrasound and CAT scan for severe abdominal pain revealed no blockages and my urologist was at a loss to explain the symptoms. My GP thought it was urethritis which some of it may have been as the antibiotics fixed certain problems as I just stated. Three or four urine samples came out clean as well. I should also add that I am sexually active and since November have been having unprotected sex with my girlfriend because she is on BC. We have both been tested for STD's and have both come out negative. I also try to urinate right after sex so as to prevent infections.

However within the past 1-2 weeks after ejaculation I have experienced severe pain which starts almost immediately after my orgasm subsides. The pain is a burning pain and occurs in the tip of my penis, along the space between my testicles and my anus(perinum or something I believe it's called?) and also in my rectal area which is what led me to believe maybe I have prostatitis? I looked up the symptoms online and they seem to be similar to mine. Prostatitis would also explain why it is painful to start urinating as the prostate controls urination correct? My first question is do you think I have prostatitis and if so why did my urologist not think to check for such an ailment? Secondly, do you know of any ways to fix my condition, I have read about massages as well as that antibiotics do not generally help? I have also tried taking anti-inflamatory drugs after ejaculation and they do not help with the pain.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:01 am

User avatar Hi Deeves,
You complaints are consistent with symptoms of prostatitis. If you did not express post ejaculatory pain to your Urologist at your last evaluation that would be one reason this condition may have not been first considered and others were instead. Anti-inflammatory medications work much more efficiently in reducing inflammation if taken on a more regular basis (with food) for a short amount of time. When taken directly after intercourse there isn't any immediate pain relief only some relief noticed later on. Treatment of Prostatitis depends on the causative factor involved. I will include a link in this post for you to view. I would suggest a re-evaluation by a Urologist.
Click here!
Theresa Jones, RN
 Deeves - Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:17 pm

Thanks a lot. Also a quick follow-up question. Do you think that if my prostate is infact enlarged that too much sexual activity could be causing it? Whether with my girlfriend or masturbation? Could that maybe cause temporary prostatitis and if so would laying of anything sexual for a week or so make it better?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:24 am

User avatar Hi Deeves,
In my opinion I wouldn't consider that frequency of sexual intercourse would be the causative factor. If you in fact have prostatits the anti-inflammatory medications should reduce the pain but I again would suggest an evaluation by an Urologist.
Theresa Jones, RN
 Deeves - Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:26 am

Thank you again. I am currently in the process of getting an appointment for sometime this week.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:11 am

User avatar Your quite welcome Deeves. I hope you will consider posting an update when your time permits.
Theresa Jones, RN
 Deeves - Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:38 pm

I went to a new urologist and he diagnosed me with prostatitis after hearing my symptoms and checking my prostate.

Because I get better temporarily while on the other medications, but the symptoms came back after completing the course of antibiotics, he has prescribed me with 20 days of Bactrim in hopes that all I need is just an extra 10-13 days of medication to fully eradicate any bacteria that he thinks are causing this problem.

I will post again in 20 days or so after the medication is done to update on my symptoms and I have a check up in early June with him as well.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:41 pm

User avatar Hi Deeves,
I certainly hope this treatment alleviates the problem and will watch for your update. Best wishes.
Theresa Jones, RN
 MACK1174 - Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:58 pm

hi doc. im also having the same problem after ejaculation. burning pain through my urine passage and it last for 15min-1 hours.most after drinking too much of water before ejaculation. its not many times but once in a wile after ejaculation. i had never had any kind of sexual activity besides ejaculation. but im already suffering nearly 5 years. and it never stops. i seriously need help. thanks..

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us