Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: recurrent UTI`S history of reflux

tdeolim - Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:13 pm

I originally posted this in the pediatric section a few weeks ago with no reply, thought it might do better here.

my 14 yr old daughter has had 4 UTI`S in the last year, she has a history of kidney reflux (which after her last VCUG) I was told had resolved on its own. Needless to say, the reflux is supposedly gone and although she has not had any kidney infections like she did when she had the reflux, she is still getting the UTI`S quite frequently. My question is, can reflux go away and then come back, It was about 3-4 years ago when I was told it was gone and she has been getting more frequent uti`s as she gets older, her dr. says one more and we will need to investigate but if the reflux is gone then what can cause such frequent infections ? Any info as to what to look for would be really appreciated....
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 10, 2006 7:05 am

User avatar Hi tdeolim,
Can you tell me if a culture and sensitivity was done as an evaluation on her urine test to identify the causative organism? If not, this needs to be evaluated. For example, E Coli bacteria (present on the skin near the rectum) is one of the bacteria responsible for a UTI. For instance, after using the bathroom wiping back to front verses front to back may cause an infection by this organism. Tub baths, in some females, seem to exacerbate these infections. Holding urine too long past the urge to urinate, causes overstretching of the bladder, prevents complete emptying because the muscle is weakened. Sexual activity is another factor. Again, if a cuture has not been done on her urine, I would certainly inquire about this diagnostic. A referral to a Urologist would be recommended to identify the causative factor, ie, congenital abnormality (abnormally short urethra) etc. is present.