Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: What causes urinary tract spasms?

angelforever34 - Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:31 pm

Could I find out what would cause urinary tract spasms other than UTI's? I understand that I have them in my bladder probley because it's diseased but I do not understand why it causes my kidney's to hurt, especially on the left side, because there is nothing wrong with my kidney's, but that's where the pain is at it's worst. It also gets really tender there so I don't think it's radiating pain. And I pretty much know for a fact they are spasms. Here's my past diagnosis: bladder spams, overactive bladder intersistial cystitis, flank pain, grade 2 bladder prolapse, prolapse of cervix & uterus, uterus overlaying on the bladder causing deformity. Past treatments: cystoscopy's w) distention, hysterectomy w) bladder sling (having uterus & cervix removed 6 mths ago). The surgery more or less cured the frequency going from over 100 times a day to about 15-20. I cannot take overactive bladder medication for these spasms, as for some reason, they have an opposite effect on me. The surgery also made it very difficult for me to be able to urinate but at this point, my bladder is just slow about doing so. Are there any treatments or other medications for this? I do not currently go to a urologist but would do so if it would help. I used to take Elmiron, could it help with the spasms?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:11 pm

Conditions that causes reduction in the flow of urine resulting from obstruction, or any urinary tract abnormality result in renal spasm due to many causes like:
- This increased risk of stone formation, which you already have mentioned to have, in your previous posts.

- Contraction of the ureteric smooth muscle to push the urine against the full bladder (bladder autonomic dysfunction or mechanical cause), another form of obstruction in the bile flow.

- ureteric stricture following traumatic injury in previous surgery

All of these causes induce increase in the pressure inside the ureter, in addition to the chemical metabolites produced by the infection or the anoxia (decrease oxygen content) will stimulate nerve endings that send the stimuli to the brain.

The pain is then felt as referred to cutaneous structures, that share the same spinal cord neurons through which the brain send back his impulses.
 angelforever34 - Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:17 am

I've never had stones in my urinary tract even though it runs in my family. I really should have no reason for a blockage. Is there any chance that intersistial cystitis or the sling in my bladder being too tight could cause these spasms? Is there a test that could show whether a sling is too tight or not? I started taking "Elmiron" and am feeling somewhat better but the pain is still there, just not as bad. Thanks (for the reply).