Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Cystocele

happy one - Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:24 pm

I'm 50 yrs old and had a full hysterectomy at the age of 30.I've had multiple surgeries in the abdomen.My gynecologist just recently informed me that I've got a cystocele.Also he said that I need to be informed by state law that I need a biopsy done on my vulva due to two areas that have melanoma.I'm so very scared as over a yr ago he said it was fine and no biopsy was warranted.I also have had a polyp removed from my bladder also.I have Marginal B cell Lymphoma,Hepc,Arthritis due to the Hepc.Plus another Auto Immune diease of unknown origin.I'm seeing my Urologist on Monday to see exactly how and when I can get it fixed.My Gynecologist said that I probably have a rectocele as well.I just don't understand why I'm in so much pain all of a sudden.I have been tested for UTI and do not have one.My Urologist office told me that Cystoceles don't cause pain?I beg to differ as I'm in agony and feel like my bladder is being pulled out between my legs.If you have some insite to any of this I would really appreciate it. Sincerly Brenda Hart
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:22 am

User avatar HI happy one,
When the pelvic floor weakens (due to a variety of factors) certain organs displace into areas that they are not suppose to be located. Mild cystoceles may be asymptomatic (cause no symptoms) but when progression occurs to the extent that the bladder prolapses into the vagina, of course treatment is required. Symptoms may range from urinary incontinence, fullness, discomfort, pain, recurrent infections, etc. Pain at varying degrees is a subjective sign expressed by a patient. For another person to state that this particular condition isn't at all painful is essentially absurd. I hope all went well with your evaluation and follow up. Best wishes.