Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Neurogenic bladder and bladder infections

JKF - Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:37 pm

I was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder and I don't have much feeling about when I have to go. When I do get the feeling I go a whole lot. I have a problem with emptying my bladder and I keep getting bladder infections. My doctor put me on an antibiotic to keep me from getting an infection and I got one anyway. Now I am taking cipro for 5 days. How can I stop getting these infections? Thank you JKF[color=darkblue][/color]
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:47 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are feeling better.

Neurogenic bladder is a bladder dysfunction that is due to a neurologic cause which results in the inability to regulate voiding.

There are two main types of neurogenic bladder.

Flaccid neurogenic bladder is the result of a lower motor neurone lesion and results in a bladder with a large volume and low pressure, where bladder contractions are absent. Lower motor neurone lesions that can cause this condition are peripheral nerve lesions or spinal cord damage at the S2 to S4 level. The primary symptom is overflow incontinence.

Spastic neurogenic bladder results from an upper motor neurone lesion such as brain damage or spinal cord damage above T12. The volume of the bladder is either normal or decreased and bladder contractions are frequent. The main symptoms include urgency, frequency and nocturia.

Mixed patterns exist and can result from conditions such as syphilis and diabetes mellitus or demylenating conditions such as multiple sclerosis.

Recurrent urinary tract infections are a common complication of this condition and a cause for significant morbidity. If left untreated it may result in nephropathy and ultimately renal failure.

Cipro is a great drug for UTIs, should the frequency of your UTIs become excessive your urologist may consider other options in the treatment of your condition.

These vary according to the type and severity of the condition and range from various catheterization procedures to drugs such as anticholinergics to surgery as a last resort.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us