Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Different question - Going to the basics

Easygoingguy - Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:38 am

Ok, this could be easy to answer -, I mean let's just get it to basics and go from there.

Presuming that bladder gets waste out of kidneys and presuming only kidneys, who is the initiator of the actions?

In other words do kidneys keep "sending" the liquid to bladder no matter what, or does bladder keep asking for it?

Why I am asking this question;

Because at certain times of day, I feel as if too much water is being dumped to my bladder, so yes I have to pee quite often but eventually it will stop (interestingly when I eat something; so my doctor thinks that I have Interstitial Cystits). I mean it's just not logical to me that bladder will get to the burst feel like levels within 1 hour, and I may not have drank that much liquid. I can hold it but it hurts like hell.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:59 pm

User avatar Hello,

Yes you are right the kidneys send the urine to the bladder. From the point of view of the kidneys the bladder is a passive container of urine. The bladder simply keeps filling up with urine until it reaches a certain capacity when receptors in the bladder start sending signals to initiate voiding.

However when the bladder is inflammed it becomes somewhat sensitive' and the receptors fire off signals at very low thresholds of urine.

Hope that answers your question.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us