Question: varicocele help

markm1 - Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:01 am

Im a 24yr male.

Few months ago i went to the doc with pain in my left testicle and swelling. He told me that i had a cyst and to take antiboitic for 10 days. Which i did, the terrible pain went away which was replaced with a dull ache and a kind of warm sensation, sometimes i have a feeling down the inside of my left leg too. There is pain now and again on the left handside below my belly inside. The swelling did not go away. There is one maybe two lumps along the vein/cord along with what i presume is varicocele (bag of warms is how ive seen it described in a number of places). I have not had sex since this discovery and have not masterbated in two weeks. Primarily because each time i do it swells slightly and become uncomfortable. Is ejeculation harming me? makking it worse? Im not sure what to do, im so uncomfotable going to the doctors, it was such a big thing for me to go the last time. Especially with this sensitive area and in this cold environment, my sac seems to tighten up and is very hard to examine, this is most probly the reason why the varicocele was not even noticed last time. It doesnt help that i am quite small down there as well, which is a whole different story of embarrassment.

Any help would be really appreciated.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:07 pm

Possible causes of scrotal swelling include inguinal hernia, , hydrocele, and varicocele. Other causes that are less common in adults include lymphedema, and a spermatocele.

- Hernia: It Occurs when the local support tissues weaken, allowing loops of the bowel to slip from the abdomen into the groin. Usually, the pain and may be a bulge when standing upright, movement, or bearing down are present.

- A varicocele is a dilatation of the veins within the scrotum
15-20% of the normal fertile males may have Varicoceles .
Varicoceles are commonly seen on the left side than in the right due to different anatomic factors.

Important consideration regarding varicoceles in adolescents are:
- the varicocele is a progressive lesion
- early repair of the varicocele prevents the development of infertility.

Surgery is the primary form of treatment for varicoceles.However, not all varicoceles need surgical correction.

Direct clinical examination is essential to determine the proper management approach. I advise you to follow with your doctor.

jeanstein - Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:25 am

Problem After varicocele surgery, When I touch my Cele I feel pain and after sex I have like a bag next to my Cele, the dimension of it decreases after stopping for one or two days, What should I do and is it need to another surgery ?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:42 pm

During a varicocele surgery varying degrees of trauma may occur to the lymphatics in the spermatic cord.This may lead to some edema or at times even a hydrocele.The swelling that you feel could be one of these.
You have not mentioned how long since you had the varicocele surgery.
I suggest that you should consult your surgeon and go by his/her advice.Good luck!