Question: Lower abdomen and rectum spasms?

golfer2b - Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:12 pm

I am a 22 year old male and I have been experiencing episodic lower abdomen and rectum spasms. I went to the doctor yesterday and my urine and blood checked out fine and I was told to just wait it out. It is extremely painful and causes me to stop what I am doing and either roll on the floor or stand up if I am sitting down. It seems to be when my bladder is a little more full. Today I have been experiencing these spasms every two hours or so. I then proceed to use the restroom and I will be fine for another two hours. I have been using the bathroom about three times more often then normal. At the age of 11 I had a hernia if that could be of any help. Thank you for your help.

golfer2b
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:48 am

It would be more helpful if you can explain in more details your symptoms.
Is your pain mainly related to full bladder and after micturition you feel better? Or it is part of the problem? You mentioned you have spasm feeling in your rectum? do you have any changes in your bowel habits, loose stool, diarrhea, mucous in stool, nausea etc?
Do you have any tenderness on any part of your abdomen.
Did you go for stool analysis, abdominal -pelvic US.?

Acute abdominal pain could be due to many causes including:
- Coliti and proctitiss: Colitis and proctitis due to infectious or inflammatory disease like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.There is tenderness over the abdomen. Stool analysis and complete blood picture CBC help in the diagnosis.

- Appendicitis:. If the pain starts in the middle of the abdomen (para-umblical) then localize to the lower right part of the abdomen, appendicitis is to be considered. Diverticulitis can cause same symptoms but the pain is felt on the left side of the lower abdomen.

-Renal -urinary- pain:
Pains due to renal problems are colicky pains, felt in the abdomen, back and radiates down to the groin and, commonly associated with other urinary symptoms, like burning micturition or urine frequency

Investigations include:
Complete blood picture , blood chemistry and stool analysis.
Abdominal US.
Endoscopy

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Keep us updated.
 golfer2b - Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:02 pm

Thank You for your response.
I beleive the symptoms are directly related to my bladder being full or my body thinking that the bladder is full. I have misspoken in mentioning that part of my pain is in my abdomen. It is only spasms in my rectum and in my pelvic region. I feel like the muscle which stops urination is contracting very quickly and that is what I referred to as a "spasm". My stool is harder than usual and is harder to push out. There is no blood in my urine nor does it hurt to urinate. I have already done a Urine test, a Blood test, and the doctor poked around my abdomen, but not a stool test. I hope I was able to explain this a little better.
Thank You,

Golfer2b
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:29 pm

This could be interstitial cystitis -painful bladder syndrome (PBS)-

The International Continence Society (ICS) defines PBS as "suprapubic pain related to bladder filling, accompanied by other symptoms such as increased daytime and nighttime frequency in the absence of proved urinary infection or other obvious pathology"

The hallmarks of interstitial cystitis painful bladder syndrome (PBS), are:
- urgency without incontinence
-daytime frequency more than 8 voids per day
-nighttime frequency more than 4 voids per night
-bladder pain relieved by voiding

No proved cause for the disease yet, theories include: an autoimmune, hereditary, infectious or allergic condition.

To diagnose interstitial cystitis, you have to record the volume of fluid intake and fluid out put daily (bladder diary) and report your doctor with this record.

Other causes doctors would exclude before diagnoses( as they share PBS in symptoms )include: urinary tract infections, kidney stones, bladder cancer, sexually transmitted diseases, or bacterial prostatitis .

I advise you to follow with your doctor and discuss with him this information.