Question: Prostatic Urethra Stones

George393 - Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:19 am

I am 53 YOA Male who just had Greenlight laser prostrate reduction (PVP). During recovery I developed multiple stones in the healing prostratic urethrea.

Doctor had never heard of stones developing there and I have not found anything on the web.

I would like to be directed to a medical source of info on this matter. Have you ever heard of this? Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:36 pm

The GreenLight PVP Laser Procedure (Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate) provides unique and simple solution to benign prostatic hyperplasia BPH due to its safety, and it can precisely remove enlarged prostate tissue. Most patients can return to normal, non-strenuous activities within days of the procedure.

Developing urethral stones is not reported after this operation at least to my knowledge.

However before assuming that you have really developed these stones thereafter, I would like to know:
How you have been diagnosed to have urethral stones?
and Why you have been examined for, what was your complaint?

It is reported for some patients to have some blood clot formation after the procedure which may cause some urinary symptoms that are shared by many other causes.

If we assume that they are stones, why it is not a stone that has been formed due to urinary problems causes by the enlarged prostate. In older men an enlarged prostate can encourage the growth of a bladder stone by restricting the proper and full drainage of the bladder.
Once the PVP was done, the obstruction was relieved, the stone could move down and was more easy to be felt and diagnosed.

For primary urethral stone to be formed (rare) it needs obstruction and stasis of urine that predispose to stone formation.

Hope this information is useful.
Keep us updated.
 George393 - Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:35 pm

I neglected to state in my basic post that I had to have a 2nd surgery to remove a test tube full of stones from that area that was reduced by the PVP. They have already been removed and there were a lot of them. Your right - nobody has ever heard of that. My doc is at a lost. Any direction you could point me would be great.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:12 pm

If, I got your information well, you have been diagnosed with urethral stones then intervention was done.

Urethral stones although rare, may be formed in cases of urethral obstruction and narrowing. They are more common in men than in women due to the possibility of prostate enlargement.

They are also seen after traumatic injury of the urethra(following surgery), or stricture formation.
Urine stasis encourage infections which in turn results in stone formation

Keep us updated.