Question: Suspected urological problem, but nothing found...

miclus - Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:20 pm

In April 2005, I woke up and my back and butt were sweating. As the day progressed, they start burning like crazy, seemingly sensitive only to things touching against them like the bed or my chair. Sitting in my chair for more than a few minutes produced insane burning in my butt, so much so that it seems to go numb. They seem slightly relieved upon standing, almost fully reversing the pain, but not 100%. The next day, I start having difficulty both urinating and with bowel movements. It just seems like the pelvis area is swollen inside like something is blocking them. It's extremely difficult to urinate and have bowel movements now, 20 months later still. The pain in my butt and lower back is insane, and makes me feel like I have totally been restructured physically. I really feel as if something has totally shifted in my body. I have this extremely bad pain in my right side near my ribs and flank area that runs into my right groin and right testicle, and right buttock. Even the right leg. The pubic area has a lot of pressure on it and my penis/urethra hurts very bad near the end, independent of using the bathroom. Basically, I have very bad pains day in and day out and marked difficulty using the bathroom, but absolutely no explanation. I haven't been able to find a good doc yet that will give me the time of day. I have been to a urologist, but he couldn't find the problem with a urine culture and eps culture and ivp to look at kidneys, as well as scrotal ultrasound. I also went to a gastroenterologist and he did a colonoscopy and abdominal ct (but didn't cover pelvis region). MRI showed a bulging disc but not messing with the cord according to 3 or 4 doctors I showed it to. They all don't think it reveals a problem. Here are my suspicions based on 20 months of research:

1. Some type of occult pelvic area hernia. These could be looked further into with a pelvic ct (for obturator) and groin ultrasound (for inguinal and femoral), neither of which anyone has ordered yet. Also, pelvic ct can show many other problems. I've had an abdominal ct to check kidneys and liver and stuff, but it didn't cover the pelvis area, so I feel a pelvic ct is definitely warranted.

2. Some type of urological problem that just went unnoticed. Now, I know a urologist would be best, but routine things have been looked into. My theories on that are perhaps a difficult to find prostate infection, or maybe even an abscess. An ultrasound of the prostate could rule that out, and I haven't had that. Prostate infection would be less likely given the negative EPS and I took Doxycycline and Levaquin. I'm guessing a cystoscopy could essentially complete a urological workup, and maybe a repeat eps or semen culture.

Do you think my problem is urological and do you agree with the tests I think I should get?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:36 pm

I agree with Dr. Chan Lowe as he answered your other posts, A 24-hour urine collection to check for calcium, phosphate, urate, oxalate etc as they all may lead to stone formation.

CT scans and IVP can identify most of kidney stones but have some limitations.
A Spiral CT scan (does not need a contrast) is of choice in evaluating kidney stones as it can identify stones regardless of composition.

Another cause to be excluded since you have like hypersthesia (according to your description), neurological causes should be considered too.

You have mentioned that a MRI has been done, did it include the sacral vertebrae within?
Did you consult a neurologist?

Keep us updated.