Question: strong smelling urinine, results came back normal.

callykid - Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:23 am

Hey.

i recently went to my doctors because my urine was smelling strong when i went to toilet. So he did a urine test and i waited 5 days and rang for the results and they said results came back normal.

any ideas?

i drink regually through the day.

thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:09 am

Urine odor may change due to many causes that may be physiological (benign) or pathological (disease related).

These causes include:
- Food and medication causes of abnormal urine odor
Asparagus
Vitamin B6 Supplementation

-Concentrated Urine is another causes and commonly seen.

- Diseases like:
Urinary tract infection a simple urine analysis and culture will diagnose.
Metabolic diseases like Diabetes but other symptoms of the disease will be present like polyuria etc. And blood sugar test will help in the diagnosis.

I advise you to to drink a large amount of fluids every day and see the effect this will have on your urine appearance and odor.

If the condition persist you better repeat your urine analysis do cultures and exclusion of systemic causes should be considered.

Follow up with your Doctor is essential.
 callykid - Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:02 pm

hey,

thanks for your reply.

Well ive had a urine test done and that came fine.

Could you advise on how much i should drink a day? and how long it should be before i see results?

thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:35 pm

Unlike many nutrients and supplements, there is no specific recommendation for daily water intake.

Many factors influence the daily requirement like, individual response to the climate, physical activity, and body weight, age, and health conditions.

However, it is suggested that under ordinary conditions adults would need up to eight cups of fluid each day.

Urine accounts for almost three-fourths of daily water losses.
Each day you better try to balance water losses with adequate water intake.

Hope this information is useful.