Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Help.. Blood where it shouldn't be.

twlls - Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:25 pm

I am 17 years old and for the past day I have noticed blood in my semen. There is no pain involved, and no blood in my urine afterwards. So today I went to the internet and read quite a few medical forums. Some said to immediately contact a urologist and others said just wait two weeks.

So my question is this:
if I wait two weeks before seeing a doctor, would it be too late to take care of a prostate problem?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:09 pm

Dear Twlls,

I advice you to seek medical assistance, at least do a urine and semen analysis and pelvic +/- transrectal ultrasound.

have you had a trauma in your pelvis or penis lately? as for prostate problems, supposedly you are too young for that.

Best regards,
 twlls - Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:19 pm

No, i haven't had any trauma in or near either.

Would you say what is happening is really serious?

Is it common?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:44 am

Dear Twlls,

We have to know how much blood comes out and is it in semen or in urine so if you can go to your GP and do the analysis that would be very helpful to point us to the direction where we can reach a diagnosis.It can be as simple as an infection, but we have to make sure.

best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us