Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: discolored urine + strep

clairebear9898 - Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:44 pm

I'm an 18 year old female. I was diagnosed with strep throat yesterday, and am currently taking Amoxil. For the past few days, as I have been sick, my urine has been very yellow. I have been alternating water and ginger ale (for the nausea) when I drink. I have had two "group B strep" outbreaks in my life, which have been discovered due to discoloration of my urine. Could the group A strep in my throat have spread and caused the group B, resulting in the discoloration? And if that is possible, will the Amoxil treat both?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:57 pm

User avatar Hello,

Deep yellow urine can be seen when the urine is concentrated. Vitamin B supplements, certain foods and drugs can make the urine bright yellow too.

I advise you to increase the daily fluid intake and to observe if this color is changing.

If there are other symptoms suggestive of urinary tract infection like, dysuria, frequency, loin or pelvic pain etc, You should inform your Doctor and to do urine analysis as an initial investigation.

Hope this information is useful.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us