Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: discolored urine + strep

clairebear9898 - Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:44 pm

I'm an 18 year old female. I was diagnosed with strep throat yesterday, and am currently taking Amoxil. For the past few days, as I have been sick, my urine has been very yellow. I have been alternating water and ginger ale (for the nausea) when I drink. I have had two "group B strep" outbreaks in my life, which have been discovered due to discoloration of my urine. Could the group A strep in my throat have spread and caused the group B, resulting in the discoloration? And if that is possible, will the Amoxil treat both?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:57 pm

Deep yellow urine can be seen when the urine is concentrated. Vitamin B supplements, certain foods and drugs can make the urine bright yellow too.

I advise you to increase the daily fluid intake and to observe if this color is changing.

If there are other symptoms suggestive of urinary tract infection like, dysuria, frequency, loin or pelvic pain etc, You should inform your Doctor and to do urine analysis as an initial investigation.

Hope this information is useful.