Question: 10mm X 6mm Kidney Stone and Stent placement.

JDubC3 - Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:13 pm

I am a 24 y.o. male who is "to put it nicely" a little mad. About 5 months ago I had an M.R.I. done, along with 2 x-rays. These revealed a 10 x 6mm kidney stone in the middle of my kidney. I have never particularly liked my doctor as he seems like he doesn't really like his job. I asked him what was to be done about this kidney stone, and he told me word for word "Nothing! Come back when you start having pain." I told my dad this, and he said that I should eventually switch doctors. Well, I live in western pennsylvania, but just recently went back up to Toledo, Ohio for my last semester of school. Wednesday morning I woke up with severe pain in my right kidney, lower right abdomen, and right testicle. I felt light headed, nauseated, could barely walk, stand, lay down, or sit. I didn't know what was going on, and could barely take the pain. I contacted my doctor at home and he said to go to the emergency room. Upon arriving to the emergency room, they hooked me up to an IV, and gave me a ton of pain killers. They withdrew blood, and gave me (I think) a CT Scan. The doctor came in and told me that I had a huge kidney stone that had no chance of passing, and was causing things to be blocked up. I was admitted overnight and was told that I would have surgery the next morning. The following morning I had a STENT placed and was released hours later. I am currently on Vicodin which is to be taken (2 every 4-6 hours), and Levaquin (levofloxacin) (1 daily). The Vicodin completely knocks me out, and I find myself barely able to walk more than 5-10 minutes without it. I start my last semester of school this coming monday and am worried that I am going to miss classes. I have to strain all urine every time I go to the bathroom, and find it always to be extremely painful, and bloody. I don't have another appointment with my urologist until January 11th, where he is doing x-rays. After the x-rays he said we'll make another appointment to go in an laser the stone to get rid of it and take out the stent. This might be for another two weeks. Now that I got all of this information out, here is my question?
Now that I am going to have to fork out all this money for surgery, medication, and doctor visits, and I might miss the first two weeks of school because of this kidney stone surgery, I am wondering if this could have been provented? Is there something that my doctor could have done when we first found out about the stone? Or was this inevitable?
Like I said, I am a little upset with the outcome and setbacks this is going to cause. My blood pressure has also been a little high for the past couple months, and my urologist said this might have been the cause? Is this possible? Please give me some feedback....Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:59 pm

User avatar Large kidney stones, such as yours, are less common than the smaller variety. Depending on the availability, some urologists are able to use a form of ultrasound (called lithotripsy) to break up the stone into smaller, more easily passed stones.

If there is a lot of blockage and swelling, as you are describing, stents can be placed to "hold the ureter open" and allow the stones and urine to pass.

Your urologist can help you to determine the cause of the stone. After the stone is passed, it can be analyzed to determine its makeup. Most commonly they are calcium stones. To help in prevention, it is important to drink lots of fluids. Also, occasionally, some people secrete excess calcium into the urine causing a predisposition for stone formation.

Kidney stones can be excruciatingly painful. Hopefully you will pass it soon.

Hope this helps.