Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Kidney/ low back side pain

daughrty2 - Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:25 pm

Hi, I hope someone has a suggestion for me. I am a stay at home mother of two boys (twins). I am 30 years old and have never had a UTI or bladder infection. I have had a hysterectomy and my left ovary out. Each time I am tested, it comes out negative. I am having strong back/side/kidney area pains. We are new in the Lewisville, TX area and have to be on yucky medicaid temporarily. I can't find a doctor who will see me because of the medicaid. I have FMS and I realize it could be muscle pain, but not likely if it feels like this. I have dealt with my illnesses long enough to know the differences in pain. I am at a loss for how to treat it or what to do. If anyone can give me suggestions, suggest a doctor in my area, anything! I would love to hear it. I really don't want to do the emergency room again because of the way I was treated with my shoulder a few weeks ago (bursitis). I just need to get some relief. Has anyone else had this? Is there a doctor who could suggest a home rememdy or recommend a doctor in my area?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:18 am

User avatar Hi daughrty2,
Could you describe the pain in more detail? Is it continuous? Does it come and go? Is it colicky? What relieves it? Is there any burning sensation during urination? Fever? When you press the area in question does it hurt (i.e. Is it tender)?
 daughrty2 - Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:02 pm

I think I can answer some of those questions.
I have pain 2 or 3 days a week. It comes and goes and seems to respond to my pain meds. The same with burning urination. I don't get it as often as the pain, but I do get it. There is no fever. Sometimes pressing the area hurts, but that is normal since I have fibromyalgia. The most relief I get is when I empty my bladder. It is almost like the kidneys get backed up or something. I am not sure what is going on at all. I just need to get relief from the pain.
I can also tell you that my idea about the kidneys getting backed up could be possible. I gave birth to my twin boys in June of 2002. I noticed something was not right with my bladder shortly after that, but I blew it off thinking it was just left over from childbirth. I had my hysterectomy in January of 2003. I did not notice many symptoms for a while. Then after 8 or 10 months I saw my OBGYN and asked him if maybe my bladder needs to be tied? He asked me several of the "usual" questions. After I answered them, he said I may have nerve damage or something similar and just do my keigels. Well, my muscles are strong, but I still have this sudden urgency and frequency. Now my kidneys, which is what I think the pain is, really hurt off and on. I had the pain yesterday, and again some today, but I may not tomorrow. Who knows?
Do you really think you can suggest anything? Do you know a doctor in my area that would help me?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:12 pm

User avatar I am sorry I really can't recommend anyone to you. However, I would suggest you get a simple urine analysis and if possible a Abdomino-pelvic ultrasound with special reference to the kidneys. The results could help decide the next course of action.
 daughrty2 - Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:16 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I still can't find a doctor in my area. The one we checked out tonight will not work. Anyway, I have my most recent urinalysis and it was all normal, just slightly cloudy.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:22 am

User avatar When was the urine analysis done? How about the ultrasonography did you ever do that?
 daughrty2 - Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:53 am

The doctors in Indiana did the urinalysis in late march. They did not think the ultrasound was necessary. I wish they would have done it. We had full insurance at the time, before we moved.