Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Pain in left testicle / side

nslick - Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:43 pm

About 5 years ago during a routine self-exam I found a small lump on the top of my left testicle. It normally was not painful, but there were bouts of pain on occasion. I went to see my Urologist and after a routine examination sent me for some scans. All bloodwork, urine analysis, and scans came back just fine.

Upon visiting next it was concluded that I may have a case of epididymitis. I took a course of antibiotics which didn't do much to help really. However, the pain eventually went away. Well over the last couple of years it has come back, a bit more than usual and more often. Another visit and another set of scans reveals nothing as well.

My symptoms include the lump I found on my testicle, a rather dull, heavy pain in that general area, and a pain in my left side / thigh. I am told these are symptoms of epididymitis, which I was diagnosed with. I've read that this is mainly caused by STDs (which I am clean of), being uncircumcized, or by previous a previous surgery. None of those apply to me.

Could this just be a rare instance of epipdidymitis, not due to the usual causes? If my scans and lab-work came back fine, is there still reason to worry it could be something worse?

Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:03 am

User avatar The location of the mass is certainly consistent with the epididymus. Also, your pain symptoms fit this. Typically, however, antibiotics should help rather than having the pain go away on its own slowly.

One other possible thought would be an intermittently torsing appendix testis. This is basically a small amount of testes tissue that is located outside the testes. It often will have its own blood supply and can twist (or torse) resulting in cutting off blood flow causing pain. Your symptoms aren't classic for this but it is a thought. If this is the cause, the torsion ultimately leads to the "death" of the appendix testis and the pain subsides. This is not a dangerous situation, only painful.

I recommend following up with your urologist if the pain persists.