Question: Urethral discharge and other things.

Poda - Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:43 pm

Hi, I am a 25 year old male who, since 2005, have been having a lot of buttock, groin, back, and genital pain. Always feels like something is inside my urethra and some strange discharge. Anyway, during that time, I went to a urologist who did urine studies, eps culture, ivp, and kidney ct. Nothing was found, but I tried doxycycline followed by levaquin and no resolve. Anyway, I branched out and went to a regular doc who did routine blood work and also a gastro doc who did a colonoscopy. All these tests are normal. Fast forward to 2007, I still have the same symptoms all this time. It's a nightmare. Anyway, it's like this strange urethral discharge, sort of like liquid, but white like which keeps making me think it's urological. But, maybe it's neurological. It's usually when I am starting to have a bowel movement, it comes out first. Anyway, any ideas what to look into next?
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:17 am

User avatar Hi Poda,

Can you answer these questions as it will be helpful for me to advise you of a diagnosis:

1. Are you sexually active- (1 partner- or variouse) within the last year.

2. Did your Urologist perform any Culture Swabs of your Urethral

3. Has your partner experienced any unusal discomfort or infections.

4. Is the discharge clear in color or Brownish in color.

Your answers will be to the questions will be helpful.

Thank You

Dr. Anderson
 Poda - Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi, here you go:

1. No.
2. No, just some EPS culture and Urine culture.
3. No.
4. Clearish to white. It's like a "thicker" urine sort of.
 Poda - Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:47 pm

I'm trying to see if I can go back to the urologist, but not sure what to do. I feel like there is some kind of external pressure in the general area, almost like something has shifted in my body into the bladder/pelvics region. Do you think maybe we should do some cat scans of my pelvis or somethign? I was thinking that and maybe a look at my prostate with some imaging test?

I have some other weird symptoms I didn't mention because not sure if they are related. One of them is often after using the bathroom (bowel movements), some areas of my body will itch profusely all of a suddenly, namely under my left armpit area. Very bizaare but it happens time and time again.
 Poda - Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 am

Here is some more info. Basically, I have this sort of feeling like something is near the end of my urethra just like sitting there inside, even when I'm just walking around. During bowel movements, the pressure gets insane almost like the muscles to squeeze things out the urethra are being activated, even when nothing is supposed to come out. So, unless I have to urinate as well, I just makes the crazy feeling up front, but nothing comes out. Other times, it forces me to urinate right away during bowel movements. Anyhow, bowel movements themselves are difficult, like something is restricting them, not sure what though. I think it goes hand-in-hand with the pressure it's creating in the urethra. However, 2 colonoscopies and abdominal ct don't reveal anything about the bowels that would suggest they are blocked.

Also, another strange thing, I feel that same pressure even if I'm just like passing gas. It's like the passing of gas somehow gives this sensation near the end of my urethra instead, as if it was coming out there, but it isn't.

Any ideas on possible things to look into?

Best way I can describe is this, and maybe only males would understand this. Sometimes, probably rarely, you will have a very hard bowel movement which causes pressure up front, probably something with the prostate. Well, I now have that feeling even without bowel movements, and even the simplest ones amplify the feeling, and even just passing gas amplifies it.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:58 pm

User avatar Hi Poda,

There appears to be more that is going on than what we can accomplish on this post. I am suggesting that you see an Urologist and a Gastro Intestine physcian.

Good luck
 Poda - Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 am

Yeah, I tried them, but no luck in 2005. I am wanting to look further into a possible hernia in the groin area. I have had the tests where they ask you to cough at various doctors, but nothing detected. However, I am wondering if there is another test I could request to further verify whether or not I have a groin hernia?
 Poda - Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:46 am

Ok, I am going back to my regular doc. I am going to ask him to order some tests. Do any doctors on here think this is feasible? I mean, is it ok to ask doctors for tests, where they otherwise would probably not order them? I can see I have to take matters into my own hands, since I'm just getting blank stares.

Also, does anyone know what a urine pcr does? Do you have to say which specific things to look for, or do they just detect possible organisms among a bunch of them without saying what to look for specifically (like say tuberculosis organism)?