Question: Genital Pain

s2k - Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Greetings doc,

I am a male, 30 yrs with no past history of major urological problems other than 2 episodes of kidney stones passing in the last 3 years and no surgeries. 6 months back, during routine evaluation, my urologist told me that everything looked fine. I am not on any medications.

I have not had sex till now but have been masturbating since my teens. 2 days back, after masturbation, I felt a pain in my genitals (penis shaft mainly) and groin area. The pain has been staying since then and I have been experiencing painful urination. Could you please let me know what could be the issue here? Thanks very much for your time.

Regards,
s2k
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:07 pm

This is probably due to a form of genitourinary tract infection like urinary tract infection, prostatitis or urethritis.

The condition occur due to many causes that may be or may not be related to your sexual activity.

Most of cases however are due to infections with bacteria that ascend through the urethral meatus (through intercourse or local contamination).

Urine analysis and urine culture are essential for the diagnosis.

Recurrent stones should be excluded too.

You should seek medical consultation and do investigation for proper management.

Keep us updated.
 s2k - Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Hello doc,

Thanks very much for your reply. I have a quick follow-up question. I have fixed an appointment with my physician 4 days from now. Do you think I can afford to wait for 4 days or do you think I should seem immediate medical care? Thank you, once again...

Regards,
s2k
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:24 pm

If it is possible to get immediate medical care, then go for it.

A urine analysis and culture will help in the diagnosis.

If infection is confirmed antibiotics should be started to avoid complications.

Best regards
 s2k - Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:52 pm

Greetings doc,

I went to the ER the same day I posted my follow-up question. The urine analysis revealed no infection. All results were negative. The doc also conducted physical examination (including a prostate check) and said everything is fine. It was suggested that there could be some nervous issues here, which I need to follow up with my general physician and urologist (which I will be doing shortly).

Given the test results turning out to be negative, do you have any thoughts as to why I have the slight pain and discomfort (especially in my testicles and penis) and burning sensation while urinating? I truly appreciate your help. Thank you.

Regards,
s2k