Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: frequent/difficulty urination

playboyxxxplaya - Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:31 am

im a 23 year old male. For the past couple of years i've experienced a increased frequency and difficulty in my urination. i atleast go once every hour and atleast 2 to 3 times a night. I also have a difficulty going sometimes, and the stream is usualy weak unless I have held the urination for an uncomfortable amount of time. Sometimes even after I have urinated I still feel the sensation of having to go. Also I have noticed when I work out at the gym, for some reason the frequency increases. I have seen a urologist already and have ruled out prostate, infection, and other common possibilities. The doctors suspician was that it might be an obstruction, but I didnt think that was logical since he had checked my bladder and it was empty, but i had the sensation of having to urinate. Some things I felt uncomfortable telling my physician and the urologist was that between the age of 17 and 20 I experienced with some drugs, which i read in another forum might have had affects, and I'm wondering if it can be reversed or treated anyway. And also I have pleasured myself through anal sex before with toys and ice, which im curious if it had any affect, but with not with another person, so no exchange of bodily fliuds.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:23 pm

There are many causes that may give similar clinical picture that include:

- Interstitial cystitis (IC) -painful bladder syndrome (PBS)

The International Continence Society (ICS) defines PBS as "suprapubic pain related to bladder filling, accompanied by other symptoms such as increased daytime and nighttime frequency in the absence of proved urinary infection or other obvious pathology"

The hallmarks of interstitial cystitis painful bladder syndrome (PBS), are:
- urgency without incontinence
-daytime frequency more than 8 voids per day
-nighttime frequency more than 4 voids per night
-bladder pain is usuallyrelieved by voiding
- Sometimes the pain is felt like that of penile origin.

No proven cause for the disease yet, theories include: an autoimmune, hereditary, infectious or allergic condition.

To diagnose interstitial cystitis, you have to record the volume of fluid intake and fluid out put daily
(bladder diary) and report your doctor with this record.

- Other causes doctors to be excluded (they share PBS in symptoms) include:
urinary tract infections (with organisms other than bacteria), stones,
sexually transmitted diseases,
bacterial prostatitis,
prostatic enlargment or
bladder cancer .

Of significance your past history of Drug intake, as it is known that some of these drugs like cannabis (marijuana) is known to affect in the contractility of the bladder wall.
You should inform your Doctor to allow him take proper approach in your management.

Follow up with your doctor is essential