Question: help, extreme pain and pressure on bladder

lucasbenz - Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi, im a 24 year old male

my symptoms started about a week and a half ago when I woke up in the night with what I can describe as extreme sharp burning pain on my left side a little above the groin area but below the stomach, this lasted a day and slowly went away... then a few days later my bladder started really hurting expecially if I sat or lied down. It feels like there is sharp pain with some pressure on my bladder, this makes me feel like I constantly have to go to the bathroom and also produces some burning pain from the base of my penis back to the blader, it does not hurt to pee. I went to the urgent care by my house and they did a urine test, no infection, and then they did a ultrasound on my kidneys, blader and prostate, test came back pretty good except for quite a bit of calcium deposits along my uretha. The pain is only getting worse and now the pain in my groin/stomach area is back, last night I was feeling around in that groin/stomach area where the pain was and I found a small lump I could move it around a little bit, when I pushed on it it produced extreme pain in my bladder area... it made me want to go to the bathroom I did when I went back to bed I can no longer find the lump... sorry for the lenghty story... what could this be? im worried I have cancer or something they didnt find, could this be a urology problem, or a GI problem? what ever it is it seems to effect both areas, im seing a urologist wednesday and I just wanted a 2nd opinion till then, thanks agian
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:20 pm

I did not understand well what did you mean by they find (bit of calcium deposits along your uretha), this is not a usual finding and should be investigated. This may indicate that there is a possibility of stones in the urinary tract and could be the cause of these symptoms, probably it is a small stone that moved with little pain till there was an obstruction that results in the pain you felt this week.

A 24-hour urine collection to check for calcium, phosphate, urate, oxalate etc as they all may lead to stone formation.

CT scans and IVP can identify most of kidney stones but have some limitations.

A Spiral CT scan (does not need a contrast) is of choice in evaluating kidney stones as it can identify stones regardless of composition.

- Other causes to be excluded include:
urinary tract infections (with organisms other than bacteria),
sexually transmitted diseases,
bacterial prostatitis,
prostatic enlargement

- Of significance your past history of Drug intake as some drugs may affect in the contractility of the bladder wall.

- interstitial cystitis painful bladder syndrome (PBS) is diagnosed by exclusion of all other causes.

I could not get also a clear idea about the swelling you felt, (where exactly you felt it).

You may need to repeat the urine analysis, do a CBC, IVP or CT Scan of the abdomen and pelvis according to the urologist advice.

Urological consultation is essential.
Keep us updated.