Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Lump bottom of right testicle

 lazarex - Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:14 am

I'm 27 years old male. I found a lump at the bottom of my right testicle -- it get soft when i lay down and firm while standing up. I feel a little bit pain at the bottom of the right testicle. I went to see a doctor and he did a thorough physical examination and conclude that it's hydrocele or spermatocele. He also suggest that I wear scrotal support and put ice pack on it to alleviate pain.

I wasn't satisfied with the answer, so i seen another doctor, who did the same physical examination and he said it is spermatocele. The doctor told me to comeback if the size get bigger or if i get a temperature, which the size remain the same and no temp. Then, I got worried when I was reading some post from the internet where people said that they gotten ultra sound; however, my doctors did not suggest or told me to get one. Should I get a third opinion? or Am I just being too concern?

 willywonka2005 - Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:47 am

If it changes shape when you lay down and stand up then it's not cancer. It sounds like the tail end of your epididmus to me. I get big lumps form on both my testicles at the bottom. These are just the tail ends of the epidimus forming and becoming harder. Sometimes they go hard and pretty much change shape, size and consistency through out the day numerous times. I have a lump on the bottom of my left testicle though that seems to be attached to the tail end of my epididmus. IT gets very hard at times like a ball bearing, then it goes away. Had it for well over a year now so its nothign serious. Keep your eye on your nuts though and check them once or twice a week in the shower for any lumps. I would'nt worry about what you talked about in this post though. :-)
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:48 pm

User avatar Hello,

Possible causes of scrotal swelling include inguinal hernia, , hydrocele, varicocele and cancer. Other causes that are less common in adults include lymphedema, and a spermatocele.

- Hernia: It Occurs when the local support tissues weaken, allowing loops of the bowel to slip from the abdomen into the groin. Usually, the pain and may be a bulge when standing upright, movement, or bearing down are present.

- A varicocele is a dilatation of the veins within the scrotum. Varicoceles are commonly seen on the left side than in the right due to different anatomic factors. Varicocele can lead to discomfort around the testicle, rather than actual pain in the testicle itself.

- A hydrocele is a bag of clear fluid that collects in a sac around the testicle and may be the result of a direct injury. Alternatively, it can occur spontaneously in the remnants of an embryonic sac that remains formed around the testicle from birth.

Small hydroceles may hardly be noticed and often resolve without treatment.

- Testicular cancer usually affects only one testicle. It rarely presents with pain or discomfort in a testicle or the scrotum.

Clinical examination is essential for the diagnosis.
Hydroceles and spermatoceles are diagnosed by clinical examination aided by a "transillumination," test , it is a technique in which a light is applied to one side of the scrotum the scrotum.

If the mass transilluminates, this means it is filled with a clear serous-fluid and a hydrocele or spermatocele are the cause. Other causes like varicocele and cancer do not transilluminate.

Testicular ultrasound may be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us