Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: orchitis

s2k - Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:50 pm

I had previously posted a question in this forum a few weeks back when I was experiencing pain in my groin and genital area. My doctor suspects orchitis (no specific cause as there was no evidence of bacterial infection). I would like to know what's the general prognosis of this condition (like how long it takes to get fully cured. Also, does it lead to sexual dysfunction in the long run? Thanks...

Regards,
s2k
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:33 pm

User avatar There are several causes of orchitis. It most commonly follows a viral infection. When mumps was common, orchitis was also very common. Now that mumps is much less commonly seen, orchitis has dropped in numbers. There are still several other viral causes. It is most likely that you have had one of these viruses.

Orchitis from a viral agent will generally resolve without incidence. Most cases resolve in 3-10 days. The affected testis will often loose a little size in about half the cases. Fertility is generally not affected with unilateral orchitis.

Follow up with your doctor is important to ensure that there are no other complications forming, such as fluid sacks that can put pressure on the testes.