Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: orchitis

s2k - Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Hello,

I had previously posted a question in this forum a few weeks back when I was experiencing pain in my groin and genital area. My doctor suspects orchitis (no specific cause as there was no evidence of bacterial infection). I would like to know what's the general prognosis of this condition (like how long it takes to get fully cured. Also, does it lead to sexual dysfunction in the long run? Thanks...

Regards,
s2k
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:33 pm

User avatar There are several causes of orchitis. It most commonly follows a viral infection. When mumps was common, orchitis was also very common. Now that mumps is much less commonly seen, orchitis has dropped in numbers. There are still several other viral causes. It is most likely that you have had one of these viruses.

Orchitis from a viral agent will generally resolve without incidence. Most cases resolve in 3-10 days. The affected testis will often loose a little size in about half the cases. Fertility is generally not affected with unilateral orchitis.

Follow up with your doctor is important to ensure that there are no other complications forming, such as fluid sacks that can put pressure on the testes.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us