Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Testicular pain / lump(cyst?)

 obliviou497 - Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:05 pm


Ive had dull pain in my left testicle groin area for almost a year now. It started out slowly with a pulling feeling on my left testicular region while standing periodically, then got substantially worse and hurt while sitting in the car, stand, almost everything. After about a week or so it went back to a dull pain/numbing ever since then.

I have also periodically a pinpoint (always in the same spot) pulling feeling in my lower abdomin on the left side sometime when i strain my abdimon or twist my torso greatly to on degree or the other. Also my bowel movements have changed since then, most always very loose and acidic, and abnormally foul smelling. And i seem to experience a difference in the severity of the pain before and after bowel movements.

Also, it 90% of the time feels better when i wake up in the morning, or if i do nothing but lay around all day. Which makes me think its a hernia of some sort, but i do have a small lump at the top (not side) of my left testicle, which as far as i can tell hasent changed size in the last 8-9 months. Which is why im scared it might be TC.

Ive never had any swelling, tenderness, hydrocele, or change in size of the testicle ever. Ive also had a testcular exam by two "walk-in" care doctors, who said it didnt seem like it was a concern. They didnt even notice the lump. Ive also had a CT scan, testicular ultrasound, Colonoscopy, and when it very first started about 9-10 months ago a general surgeon did a ultrasound on my abdomin.

I have an appointment this friday with a urologist, which ill be brining my ultrasound results (which had already been cleared by another doctor who said ti seemed fine just a few cysts.....but i never really got a detailed report on it, just was told that over the phone) Just to hopefully rule out this possiblity.

So im just asking if i should still be concerned about TC, because its really making me nervous. after 9-12 months should i have noticed more severe symptoms by now if it was TC? Doctors cant find a hernia either, everyones kinda stuck on what to do. Although i have heard this is kind of common in a very small hernia where i might have to see a specialist to find.

Over all id just like any suggestions, or chances it could be TC versus a hernia.

sorry for the long post, just wanted to be thorough. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:03 pm

User avatar It is important to look for testicular cancer and follow up with your doctor to be sure; however, from what you describe I would not be overly concerned about testicular cancer.

Your symptoms do sound somewhat consistent with an inguinal hernia. It sounds as if you've had an extensive work up for this that has been negative so far. Do you notice that with straining or increasing your abdominal pressure (as if bearing down to have a bowel movement) you develop a bulge in the groin area? This would be consistent with a hernia that is only present during increased abdominal pressure. An ultrasound of the inguinal area that includes images with increased abdominal presssure may be helpful.

Also, you may be experiencing some intermittent compression or twisting of the spermatic cord that carries the blood vessels, etc. to the testes. This can cause significant pain. Your urologist will be able to look for these types of things.

The lump you feel on top of the testes may be the epididymis. Basically this is the collecting system for the testes to store semen. It generally does not feel hard, however, so an evaluation is important.

I think you are on the right track by seeing the urologist. He will be able to evaluate for many of the possible causes of your pain.

Hope this helps.
 obliviou497 - Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks for the reply

No when i bear down on my abdomin i do not feel increased pain or discomfort or even a buldge. Nor do i feel any different when i lift something heavy. Only when im say laying on my back and lift my feet up or go to sit up i can feel a little mroe discomfort there.

And it doubt its strain on any chords only to the fact that i can always feel it. 24/7 i feel that dull ache in my testicle, and about 40% of the time i can feel it in that spot in my abdomin as well.

And that lump that i have found is hard. its not huge, everyone says abou the size of a "pea" which for a lump is fairly substanial, but this one is about half the size, if not even less than that. But it is deffinetly hard.

If it could be TC coudl it be possible they missed it with 3 physical exams by diffrent doctors, a ultrasound of the testicles, and an abdominal CT?
 obliviou497 - Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:18 pm

I guess im just worried if it still could be TC that ive had this for 9 months to a year now.

I don't know how fast this progresses, or i should have mroe sever symptoms by now?

im just worried that it would be considerably advanced if it did turn out to be TC

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us