Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Mondor's phlebitis?

mistudent22484 - Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:38 pm

I am recently married, 24 year old male. 6'3'', 185 lbs
no medical conditions except seasonal allergies

2 days ago I noticed a cord-like, swelling that starts at the base of my penis and goes about 2 inches down the center of the top. It is 1-2 cm wide. It looks like it is in the superior dorsal vein of the penis.
It is not red, no increase in temperature.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 beng bad, it is about a 2. More uncomfortable. I have been taking 400 mg Ibuprofen every 6 hrs for the last day.

Over the last day it has gotten slightly more dense/harder (but not by much). It has gotten a little longer (1/2 inch longer).

Ths is causing me great concern.

What is wrong with me? What should I do? Should I see a doctor? Should I wait for it to clear up? Can I still have sex? Am I at risk for further damage? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:00 am

User avatar Your symptoms are consistent with penile Mondor's phlebitis. This is a relatively rare disease so I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation.

If it is Mondor's phlebitis, this is thought to be a basically benign disease. Treatment is generally symptomatic and the condition usually resolves on its own though it may take several months to fully subside. Typically it does not come back.

Best wishes.
 mistudent22484 - Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:31 am

Dr. Chan Lowe wrote:Your symptoms are consistent with penile Mondor's phlebitis. This is a relatively rare disease so I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation.

If it is Mondor's phlebitis, this is thought to be a basically benign disease. Treatment is generally symptomatic and the condition usually resolves on its own though it may take several months to fully subside. Typically it does not come back.

Best wishes.

thank you for your time. is there something wrong with me? do you think i will be prone to atherosclerosis? thanks
 mistudent22484 - Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:24 pm

the pain is starting to subside, however the vein is still just as big and swollen. Do I have to wait to have sex until the vein is back to normal?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:23 pm

User avatar It is difficult to say that you will be more prone to atherosclerosis. I suspect that you are not at any increased risk but I cannot say definitively.

I recommend you be self limited regarding sexual activity. If you notice pain or worsening of your condition you should limit activity.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us