Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI??? It hurts...please help!

dixiemom8203 - Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:47 am

I am a 24 yr old female. I have a 3 yr old daughter and am in a stable long term relationship. I have Situs Inversus, born with a cleft palate and have had no past experiences with a UTI. I have taken a lot of baths recently since we moved into this new house on the 1st of March, 2007.

My problem is that for the past 3-4 days I have noticed that the right side of my abdomen (not my appendix...my appendix isn't on that side bc I have Situs Inversus Totalis) I believe its my right ovary, I have had a cyst before, but anyways, its very sore and painful to the touch. I noticed a little bloating but shrugged it off bc I thought it may have been a cyst and they usually go away on their own. Last night after I got home from work I had a sharp pain in the vaginal area that made me double over in tears. I went to the bathroom and it didn't burn or anything. My back was hurting, my vaginal area felt like someone stabbed me in it, and my lower abdomen up to my belly button felt the same way. It hurt to touch or to stand upright. It lasted approx. an hr and I drank half a glass of water and finally had to use the bathroom again and it went away. This morning I am still crampy but no where near the pain of last night. Could this be a UTI or something else? Thank you so much ahead of time.

~Beckie~
 Marceline F, RN - Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:20 pm

User avatar Dear Beckie,
What you are describing could be PID (Pelvic Inflammatory disease). You are potentially at risk due to your age and you mentioned taking frequent baths as well. The cervix of young women is not fully matured, which increases risk for STI's linked to PID. It would be wise for you to seek immediate attention from your PMD, or in the absence of one, to go to the local health clinic. With the severiity of the pain that you are experiencing, you may wish to consider presenting to your local hospital Emergency Room for evaluation. If it is PID you run the risk of long tem complications, such as infertility. In any event, pain and tenderness such as you describe, whether a UTI or PID, needs professional intervention, and the proper course of treatment/antibiotics. Only your doctor can make that determination based on a physical assessment and lab tests.
 dixiemom8203 - Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:12 am

Thank you first of all for responding. I have been drinking water and cranberry juice since it happened and now I am not experiencing any of those problems. Could I have cured it or is it just laying low and should I still be checked out? I am due for a pap smear...should I just mention it when I go to my appointment?

Thank you so much.

Beckie
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:24 am

User avatar Dear Beckie,
I am glad your symptoms seem to have abated. I am also glad you are planning an appointment with your GYN. Yes, I would definitely mention it to the doctor when you get to your appointment. And in the meantime, if the symptoms return, please see if the doctor can see you sooner, or present yourself to the local urgent care center, ER, or local clinic. Thank you for choosing DoctorsLounge to assist you.