Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Parapalegic/Recurrent UTI

 jimmycox - Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:36 pm

62 Yr Old Male, Parapalegic (spinal cord injury) since 1979
Foley Catheter

Infections are now very frequent (every 1 to 5 mo)and very resistant to treatment: current infection being treated with daily IVs 300mg Tobramycin, 2 gm Vancomycin

Botched "roto-rooter" job on penis left it too small for external condom catheter.

Local country MDs seem resigned to keep treating what comes, and haven't suggested anything that might improve the situation.

If no oppinion on what course we might take, at least give an idea of what sort of specialist we might seek in a larger city.

Thank you
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:17 pm

User avatar Dear Jimmycox:
You need to be seen by a Urologist for the chronic UTI's. Sometimes when a person has used certain antibiotics over a period of time they do not work as well for them as their body becomes resistant to them. Another possibility is that your bladder is not completely emptying even with a catheter in, and the stagnant urine is contributing to the infections. Not drinking enough fluids also increases the risk of infection as you need fluids to wash the bacteria out of the bladder and urethra. With bladder problems, the key word is Dilute. The more fluids you drink the less concentrated your urine is and the more dilute the bacteria in the bladder becomes. By flushing out the bladder you keep the levels of bacteria down. Not using sterile technique when changing catheters or when emptying them increases the risk of infection as well. Many persons who have trouble with UTI's drink cranberry juice to help acidify the urine and make it less prone to growing bacteria and developing infection. I am not sure what you meant about why you cannot use a condom catheter as they come in many different sizes, even for pediatric patients. You may need a referral from your urologist to a specialty shop that can order the correct size for you. There are also types that are like a bag attached to an adhesive cup that goes over the penis. There are several options you can use but you need to consult with your doctor about what is best for you. I wish you well.
Carolyn LPN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us