Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: nocturia, back pain

woofer - Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm a 42 year old female. Since Nov. 06 have had a bloated feeling in my lower right abdomen. Shortly after, I started having nocturia (2x per night compared to 0x). Nocturia subsided for a while, but has returned over the last month, and has gotten worse to the point I'm getting up 3x at night to pee, and afterward lay in bed and cant' sleep because of discomfort in my lower abdomen, also am having some lower right back pain. I don't have urinary frequency during the day.

I went to gyno, who did vag. ultrasound which showed nothing. He suggested using stool softener for a while to see if it would work for bloating, and may relieve pressure on my bladder. He suggested I have a colonoscopy if symptoms don't subside after a month. I have also seen a gp (for gerd symptoms), who took a urine sample, and did bloodwork, but have not heard back yet. The bloating is still there, but it has stayed the same. Please advise. I'm so tired from lack of sleep. Could it be kidney stones?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:11 pm

User avatar Dear Woofer,

What is the amount of urine? Do you have any other symptoms such as burning urination or blood in the urine besides the low abdominal pain? Do you drink a lot of fluids before going to bed? Do you drink a lot of caffeine or alcohol? Do you take any medications?

This could be due to a variety of reasons including urinary tract infection, diabetes, high blood pressure, renal failure, overactive bladder or congestive heart failure. Some patients who suffer from sleep disorders such as sleep apnea will sometimes mistake their reason to awaken to be voiding rather than the sleep disturbance.

If you don't have any symptoms or signs suggestive of the above medical conditions and all the blood tests and urine tests are negative, i suggest that you see a urologist.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

woofer - Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:44 pm

The first time I urinate, it's an average amount, then a little less each time after that. Occassionally, over the last couple of months, I've had some burning, but it subsides before the day is over. I had a uti about two months ago for which I took anitbiotics.

I don't have any other signs of diabetes, nor does it run in my family. I am a quite active person and run on the treadmill at the gym four times a week with no signs of heart issues. Also yesterday during intercourse there was some pain on that side also, and today I've had some burning. It is just so strange. The burning has not been the most frequent symptom. I'll go to bed around 10:30, and get up at 3:00 to pee. Then it's hard to go back to sleep and my lower right abdomen area just feels uncomfortable, sometimes a burning. Not really painful, but it doesn't feel right. Then I'll finally fall back asleep, usually to wake at 5:00 to go again, at which point the discomfort is not as bad. This morning, however, it was the worst it's been. I've had some burning all day.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:10 pm

User avatar Dear Woofer,

i think that this is another uti or the first one has not resolved all the way.

At this point, i think the best way to go is to have a urinalysis and a urine culture and sensitivity.

Another close possibility is an infection of the female genital tract, so a gynecological examination would not be unreasonable.