Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: possible UTI??

aprilgirl12 - Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm a 20 year old female. Recently I have been having burning during urination but not every time. I had a urine test done and culture that came back showing WBCs and bacteria in the urine, but the culture was negative for growth. Is it possible that I could have a UTI even though the culture was negative? if not what could cause WBCs and bacteria in the urine?
Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:46 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities. One is that you may actually have a urinary tract infection from a virus. Typically we think of UTI's as being caused by a bacteria; however, there are many viruses that can cause such infections. These will typically resolve on their own in a few days. If the burning is a problem, a medication such as phenazopyridine can help.

It is also possible that you have some local skin irritation of the area near the opening of the urethra that the urine is irritating causing some pain. These areas may or may not need medication to treat them. Generally, direct physical examination will reveal the irritated skin.

If the culture was negative it is unlikely that you have a bacterial infection.

If you are not getting better in the next few days I would suggest following up with your doctor.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us