Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: possible UTI??

aprilgirl12 - Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm a 20 year old female. Recently I have been having burning during urination but not every time. I had a urine test done and culture that came back showing WBCs and bacteria in the urine, but the culture was negative for growth. Is it possible that I could have a UTI even though the culture was negative? if not what could cause WBCs and bacteria in the urine?
Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:46 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities. One is that you may actually have a urinary tract infection from a virus. Typically we think of UTI's as being caused by a bacteria; however, there are many viruses that can cause such infections. These will typically resolve on their own in a few days. If the burning is a problem, a medication such as phenazopyridine can help.

It is also possible that you have some local skin irritation of the area near the opening of the urethra that the urine is irritating causing some pain. These areas may or may not need medication to treat them. Generally, direct physical examination will reveal the irritated skin.

If the culture was negative it is unlikely that you have a bacterial infection.

If you are not getting better in the next few days I would suggest following up with your doctor.