Question: Night time urinating

aume - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:45 am

Hello there!

I'm a 25 yo female and had a question about needing to urinate at night time.

I've noticed in the last few months that I seem to need to urinate at night time a fair bit. During the day I go approx 3 times, which is normal for me. I go to the toilet before bed, and try not to drink anything after 7.30pm but still I tend to wake up at about 11.30pm (or before I manage to fall asleep) and need to go again, then I’ll usually wake up at about 4.00am or approx 7.00am and have to go again. I don't drink allot of water during the day but found that even when I did drink water during the day (approx 500ml), it didn't make much of a difference.

I don't have any history of bladder problems and had a UTI once about 3 years ago, so I'm convinced it's something I'm doing.

My question is, is there anything I can do to help my bladder from filling at night so much or what type of things should I avoid drinking later in the day? Is this unusual and should I consult my GP?

Thanks for reading :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:43 pm

User avatar There are many causes of your symptoms. If it is solely a problem at night, illnesses such as diabetes, etc. are less likely as these would also produce increased daytime urination. None-the-less it is a good idea to get a urinalysis performed to be sure there is not increased amounts of sugar or other issues.

In some people a hormone called anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) is secreted less at night increasing urine production. The reason for this is unknown.

Some people also seem to have less bladder capacity at night (also for unknown reasons).

I would recommend that you see your doctor to discuss treatment options. There are some medications taken at night that can significantly improve this problem.