Question: Possible Prostatitis

andunn - Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:11 pm

Age:27
Sex: Male
Family History: My dad’s brother (My Uncle) has had kidney problems in the past. However, nothing in our immediate family has occurred like this.

I went to the hospital because I had stabbing pains ever minute or so in my penis, extreme back pains, was dizzy. I did not have excruciating pain in my penis, but it felt like something was in my shaft.

I went to the Emergency Room at St. John’s hospital in Lebanon, MO and they took a sample of my blood and did a urine test. They found blood in my urine, but no sign of an infection. They did a cat scan with me lying on my stomach and an X-Ray with me lying on my back.

After a little wait the doctor came back and said I had two kidney stones. One I was getting ready to pass and the other was still in/attached to my kidney. About an hour later I passed my first stone which was very tiny and was black/brown in color. The doctor said they were both 2mm in size.

After I passed my first stone the doctor wrote me a prescription for Percocet 5/325MG and told me to take 800MG of IB Profen to keep swelling down. He doctor gave me a urinal and a strainer and told me to strain all my urine so I would know when the other stone passed. When leaving the hospital I was not in very much pain, but my penis shaft hurt a little. I had assumed this was because of the stone being tiny and sharp so it may nave made small cuts in my urinary tract system.

I started taking the Percovet as needed for pain. A couple of days later the pain then developed into a small pain in my testicles. I took the percocet, but the pain grew and my testicles and sack then became tender to the touch. About a day later the pain spread into my lower back and it felt like I had a bruised tailbone. Shortly after this pain I started experiencing pain in my butt. My cheeks were tender to the touch, but I also had the feeling that someone had stuck something up my rectum. As I told the doctors I never had anything stuck up it.

I went to a different hospital. This time I went to Lake Regional Hospital located in Osage Beach, MO because all of my pain was great. I explained to them that about a week or so ago I passed my first kidney stone and the doctor told me I had a second stone but wasn’t sure when it would pass. I told them that I had been straining my urine every time I went to the bathroom but no stone came out. They gave me two different pain medications through an IV and gave me a third solution to help balance the pain killers because of the side effects. The pain medication through the IV did nothing to stop or lighten the pain in my testicles, rectum or lower back area. So they did a cat scan with my lying on my back. The doctor came back later and said they found no stones in my entire urinary tract system, but he did see a couple of tiny ones in/attached to my kidney, but that they were so small that I probably would not feel them if I urinated them out.

So the doctor prescribed me some more 5/325MG Percocet even after I told him that the Perocet was doing nothing for the pain. He did an external rectal exam after I told him my pain was very high in my rectum area. I told him that I blow gas a lot and can poop just fine. He was reluctant but prescribed an antibiotic called Levaquin 750MG. As I said though he was very reluctant to do this. He could not explain to me where the second stone went. I told him that I’m not a doctor but I didn’t think they could just disappear and he did not have an answer. So I then left the hospital being in as much pain as when I first went to the hospital.

I then went to work and after my 8 hours of work I went home and the pain had not gone away even with taking two Percocet. So I asked my wife to drive me to the hospital, but this time I decided to go back to St. John’s hospital in Lebanon, MO.

So after explaining everything to the nurse they hooked me up to an IV again. They started with just normal fluids, and gave me something for the pain but again the pain did not go away or even subside a little bit. Then the ER doctor came in and after explaining everything to him he did an internal rectum exam. So he lubed himself up and asked me if any areas felt tender while he was in my butt. There were some tender areas which he said should not have been tender when he touched them. Since I never had anything stuck up my butt before I had assumed when he said tender he meant somewhat painful which some of the areas were. He then told me he thought I had prostatitis which normally started in the urinary system, could then spread into your testicles and rectum and even into your lower back. He said sometimes this could happen if you had to go urine but held it back. So they gave me an antibiotic through the IV.

Well, my urine test finally came back with no infection being found and the nurse made the comment that my urine was very clean. I told her that because I have only been drinking water for the past 1 ½ weeks so I probably flushed my system very well.
However, after having the unpleasant feeling of someone digging n your rectum I continuously had to go to the bathroom. After doing some research on the internet I found that this is a symptom of prostatitis. However the urge to go constantly never started until my ER doctor did the internal exam. Before I left the hospital I went to the bathroom 3 times in under an hour. I am currently going about twice and hour. I am still drinking water. I have had no problems going poop and lately I seem to fart a lot. However, the urge to fart a lot started after my first passing of my kidney stone.

This morning I woke up and got out of bed. My pain in rectum area is still present but it does not hurt as much. Also the pain in my lower back is still present, but also does not hurt as much However, I now have a bloaty feeling on both sides of my chest which I am assuming has to do with my kidneys. They are not painful, but feels as though someone stuck a balloon in both my sides and started to fill them up with air. My stomach is also making a lot of noises like it is either hungry or digesting food. I currently am taking the Levaquin 750MG once a day and have 4 pills left. The doctor at the Lake Regional Hospital in Osage Beach, MO gave prescribed me a 7 day supply.

My testicles are still tender to the touch and now the tip and shaft of my penis has a painful feeling. Also, I forgot to mention, but there are no lumps of any kind on my testicles. It hurts to urinate a little, but not a lot.

Also, when I sleep at night it hurts to sleep on my back because of the pressure it puts on my butt. A couple of nights ago I slept on my side the entire night and I woke up 100% pain free. There was nothing in the testicles, rectum, or lower back area. This is however, before I started the Levaquin 750MG. However, after moving around for about 15 minutes all the pain returned.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to ask more questions and I will answer them the best I can.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:38 pm

User avatar Had you taken any antibiotic before they did the urine culture? If so, the culture is not very trust worthy.

Given your pain with the rectal exam, prostatitis is possible. To best look for prostatitis, the first part of the urine stream should be examined. This occasionally is done incorrectly as a general urine culture is usually collected by first urinating some, then collecting urine for a sample. If this is done, prostatitis may be missed.

Your symptoms still may be consistent with urinary tract stones.

You may consider completing a full treatment of antibiotics for prostatitis. I would recommend you follow up with your doctor closely to ensure that the proper diagnosis is made.