Question: Bleeding from penis

Oldguv - Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:47 am

My son, 17 years old has suffered from Crohns disease since he was 10 years old. Last night he woke up to find that the sheets were covered in blood, which appears to have come from his penis. He insists that there is absolutely no pain in or around his penis and he hasn't any nick or cuts in that area. My son has been sexually active for some time and although he had sex with his girfriend that night his girlfriend has had sex several times before. He says that there is no obvious blood when he urinates and that there is no pain when urinating.

Any ideas? Regards, Oldguv.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:05 pm

User avatar There are several causes of blood in the urine. Given his Crohn's disease if the bleeding does not improve during the next 1-2 urinations he should be evaluated by his doctor. Crohn's disease, itself, does not affect the urinary tract but fistulas can form that may bleed. Also, some of the medications to treat Crohn's disease can be hard on the kidneys and bladder.

There are many other causes so if his urine is not improving or he has other bleeding he should be seen by his doctor.