Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: help: Assurance for prostate biopsy

kiri46 - Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:29 am

I am a 76 year old male who recently visisted my GP after problems with passing water.He prescribed antibiotics which cleared it up.He suggested I had a CT scan and depending on it's outcome I may have to have a biopsy on my prostate. I then underwent a CT scan and there was some doubt about the condition of one of my kidneys. I have always enjoyed good health and still do having no symptoms or pain of any kind. I am due in hospital tomorrow for a prostate biopsy but having read several doctors opinions and necessity of a biopsy I am in doubt as to whether it is really necessary.

If I can be assured that there is no alternative I will gladly abide by my doctors opinion.

Thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:14 am

User avatar I would recommend that you discuss your concern with your urologist. You may want to have a blood test known as a PSA (prostate specific antigen) performed. In cases of benign prostatic hyperplasia (non-cancerous) it tends to be normal or only very slightly elevated and in cases of prostate cancer it tends to be elevated quite significantly. If the PSA is high I would completely agree with the biopsy.

This may give you some more information to help make a decision.

If your doctor has felt any nodules I would also recommend having the biopsy.