Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Foamy urnie , lower back pain , frequent urge to pee

share - Thu May 03, 2007 9:22 am

Age: 33
Sex : Male

Iam Hypertension and on Medicine. I check my Blood pressure almost daile and it always in the range of 130/78 to 120/72

I have lower abdomen pain and I showed to Doc who thought it was inflamation and gave me Antibiotic. The pain went off . but I sometime get the pain while walking. Also I have noticed that I have lower back pain and sometime a pain runs through my hips

When I urinate , a Foam comes .Attimes , its smelly. In the past (may be 3-4 years) I have noticed that Urine would smell very bad..but it will go off so i never bothered to go to doctor

When Iam in Office , I drink 4 bottles of 20 Oz and each time I gulp in 1 bottle , I start going to urine. I might do it like 4-5 times between 9.00 to 4.00 PM. During this time , colour is normal

Sometime , I feel I have lot of urine to pass , but when I urinate , Its not much

But If I don't drink , then the colour is Yellow

1>I recently has Sonagraphy done on abdomen area , Kidney were normal
2>Blood work did not show any abnormalities
3>CAT Scan was done to check any issue with abdomen with my pain and My doctor says everything was normal. I asked him If Kidneys were also checked and he said Yes and they were normal

Now my question is Why I have Foamy Urine ? and Why I have urge to urine so frequently. and lower back pain seems to be very much overlapping the region for kidneys ?

DO I need to see Urologist? any thoughts

Thanks in Advance
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 03, 2007 1:12 pm

User avatar Foamy urine can sometimes be an indication of protein in the urine, which can come from many different causes. Your frequent urination may be due to your fluid intake or possibly infection.

I would recommend that you have a urinalysis performed to assess for protein in the urine as well as any indicators of an infection. The urinalysis will help guide what should be done next.

share - Thu May 03, 2007 6:49 pm

Hi

Thanks for replying. I had got my blood work and urine analysis

Urine analysis were

PH ; 7.0
Glucose:Negative
Billirubin : Negative
Ketones: Negative
Occult Blood: Negative
Protien: Negative
Nitrate: Negative
Leukocye esterase: Negative
WBC : None Seen
RBC: None Seen
Squamous EPITHELIAL CELLS : None seen
Bacteria : None seen
Hyline cast: None seen

any idea what could be possible cause ? Why dry mouth feeling when I have just gulped in 20 oz of water ?

Do protien always show in urine ? or is that we have to do the test 2-3 times to see if there are traces of it in urine?

I have taken the appointment with Urologist next week , but i want to do some research so that I have some peace before I visit the doc

thanks once again
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 1:05 am

User avatar Generally, if the protein is the cause of the foamy urine it would show up on the urinalysis. However, if the urine is very dilute it may be diluted out too much to show up. (This goes for all the urine components.) One assesses urine concentration by looking at the specific gravity. 1.000 is essentially pure water. The higher the number (usually up to 1.030) the more concentrated the urine, and generally the more dehydrated a person is.

Seeing the urologist is a good idea. Hopefully you'll be able to get some answers. Based on this urinalysis, though, it does not look as if your kidneys are the issue.

share - Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 am

Hi

Thanks for your comments , I really appreciate it.

I have an appointment with Specialist tommorow.

Wanted to throw one last question to you ?

Is it possible that Protien can come out of Urine occasionally? Because I find the Foam sometime while urinating , not all the time.

You felt it might be something other than kidney issue , any idea what other things can cause urine to foam?

thanks