Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Urethra injury - urgent

 anonymous123097 - Fri May 04, 2007 7:17 am

I am a male in my late teens and I am very worried after a very embarassing but potentially fatal incident involving my urethra today.
I inserted a long thin object into my urethra far past the base of the penis (don't ask), it seemed to be unable to penetrate any further until with a sudden jolt I felt it penetrate through some internal structure and upon immediate removal large amounts of blood gushed out of the penis. The flow stopped after perhaps 30 seconds, and I am now uncertain of what to do.

What has been injured? Will it heal by itself? Is it now bleeding internally? Is there a high risk of fatality through infection or otherwise? What can i do??

Please do not suggest the hospital or something unless it is absolutely necessary because I am too embarassed and refuse to do such a thing unless death is imminent.
Advice is needed urgently. thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 2:11 pm

User avatar While it probably not what you are wanting to hear, I would strongly advise you to be evaluated. You should be seen by a urologist. Damage to the urethra can lead to significant side effects such as not being able to urinate or developing increasing pressure in the bladder that can damage the kidneys also.

While it is possible that the injury may heal itself, the concern is that it may not, or it may heal improperly.

Unfortunately, seeing a urologist is not always easy. If you are unable to see a urologist urgently I would advise you to be seen in the emergency room.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us