Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Urethra injury - urgent

anonymous123097 - Fri May 04, 2007 7:17 am

I am a male in my late teens and I am very worried after a very embarassing but potentially fatal incident involving my urethra today.
I inserted a long thin object into my urethra far past the base of the penis (don't ask), it seemed to be unable to penetrate any further until with a sudden jolt I felt it penetrate through some internal structure and upon immediate removal large amounts of blood gushed out of the penis. The flow stopped after perhaps 30 seconds, and I am now uncertain of what to do.

What has been injured? Will it heal by itself? Is it now bleeding internally? Is there a high risk of fatality through infection or otherwise? What can i do??

Please do not suggest the hospital or something unless it is absolutely necessary because I am too embarassed and refuse to do such a thing unless death is imminent.
Advice is needed urgently. thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 2:11 pm

User avatar While it probably not what you are wanting to hear, I would strongly advise you to be evaluated. You should be seen by a urologist. Damage to the urethra can lead to significant side effects such as not being able to urinate or developing increasing pressure in the bladder that can damage the kidneys also.

While it is possible that the injury may heal itself, the concern is that it may not, or it may heal improperly.

Unfortunately, seeing a urologist is not always easy. If you are unable to see a urologist urgently I would advise you to be seen in the emergency room.