Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: kidney cyst

carolw - Fri May 04, 2007 3:55 pm

I have a cyst in my kidney that is about 4.5 cm. in size. It's been there for about 5 years. when it was first noticed it was about 2cm. I have had much kidney pain over the past couple years. Could this be caused by the cyst? if so what can be dne about it?
Thank you
carol 49 years old

what is an average size kidney cyst?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 07, 2007 4:32 pm

User avatar Many people have a cyst in the kidney. There are some conditions that predispose to cystic kidneys but these typically have many cysts.

Generally a solitary cyst is not a problem; however, they can begin to cause symptoms if they get big enough. It may be that your cyst is causing some of your pain.

I would recommend you see a nephrologist for evaluation to see if there is anything that should be done for your cyst.

Regarding the average size, renal cysts are quite variable. They can be very small (a few millimeters) to quite large (several centimeters or more).

Best wishes