Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Stones VS UTI

BRINCOBABY - Fri May 04, 2007 6:00 pm

I had a substantial amount of blood in my urine and lower back pain the pain intensified over night to a point where I almost couldn't stand it, then a urinated again and hardly any blood. When I went to the doctor they saw just traces of blood left in my urine and said I have a UTI. I am now having intense back pain (can't even sit down), on my right side when I touch my lower back I get nauseated. Do I hve stones or just an UTI or both?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 05, 2007 12:23 am

User avatar Pyelonephritis (infection of the kidneys) can be quite painful. Kidney stones can also explain your symptoms.

There is a connection between the two in some instances. Some bacteria can induce kidney stone formation.

If there is concern about kidney stones, a CT scan should be done to look for them. You should also be treated for the UTI.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us