Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Cystitis caused by anxiety???

misspink - Thu May 10, 2007 1:02 am

Dear Doc,

I'm an 20 year old female, history of diabeties, heart disease & cancer in the family, recently recovered from Phnemonia.

A few weeks ago I started needing to urinate VERY frequently yet there was never much there, there was no burning sensation but was diagnosed with Cystitis and put on a 5-day-course of antibiotics.

I thought I was better by the end of the course (I completed it however) but a few days later I noticed the problem coming back when I was nervous / excited / stressed etc... wondering if there's something similar that can be brought on by anxiety?

I am currently finishing my second lot of the antibiotics (had a second script made up) but the problem is still there, needing to urinate frequently yet having nothing to really get rid off, and even when I get off the toilet I feel like I need to go again. It tends to "strike" when I'm nervous, esp. when I'm driving etc. not near a toilet... is this anxiety or something? I'm finding it very hard to cope... Is there anything you can suggest?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:42 pm

User avatar If you have not had a urine culture I would recommend doing this to be sure that you don't have a urine infection with an antibiotic resistant bacteria. It doesn't really sound like you have a bladder infection, though.

You may have a condition known as hyperactive bladder (also known as overactive bladder). Other possible conditions that could cause increased frequency would be issues like constipation or gynecological issues such as an ovarian cyst compressing the bladder.

If your symptoms persist you may want to see a urologist.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us