Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Swollen Inguinal Lymph Nodes/Frequent Urination

trip0r - Sun May 13, 2007 3:12 pm

I am a 29 year old male. I have been experiencing frequent urination (8-10 times/day) for about 4 weeks. I also have been waking up to urinate 2 times per night.

About 2 days ago I started experiencing a dull pain and swelling of the inguinal lymph nodes on my left side. I notice 3 swollen nodes.

Urine analysis shows no sign of bladder infection or blood in urine. Also, I am not experiencing pain when I urinate, just a major increase in frequency. No lesions or external signs of STD (nor would it be possible as I have been sexually inactive for about a year).

I went to see the doctor today but ended up just seeing a PA. He really couldnt say what was going on. With the symptoms mentioned above, what are the possible causes?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:08 pm

User avatar Increased urinary frequency may be due to a decrease in antidiuretic hormone (called diabetes insipidus) producing very dilute urine. If the urine is concentrated it really basically rules this condition out.

Another possibility would be a an undiagnosed diabetes mellitus. The high sugar in the urine pulls water along with it and causes increased urination.

A urinary tract infection can cause the increased frequency and the lymph node swelling. If you've not had urine culture this may be helpful. A normal urinalysis makes infection less likely.

You may want to see a urologist for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us