Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Idiopathic Meatitis: Please Help

Paul - Tue May 15, 2007 2:37 am

AGE=28
SEX=MALE
Past diagnoses=UNKNOWN
Past surgeries=Cystoscopy
Family history=?
Current Medications=ACICLOVIR, ALEGRA

Dear Participants of the forum,

I am here to seek your advice. It's been almost a year since I contracted HSV-1 via ora-genital MSM. My initial outbreak was over a months after exposure but my meatus has been inflamed for almost a year without any noticeable relief. I observe no change at all. Doesn't get better, doesn't get worse.

Here is a list of meds I tried:

Doxycycline, Ciprofloxacin, Metrodinazol, Diflucan, Azythromicin, Erithromicin, Valtrex, Famvir, Acilovir, Penicilin, Augmentin

Topical remedies I tried: Various Fungal and Steroidal Creams such as: Hydrocortizone, Mycolog, Clotrimazol, Ketoconazole, Tioconasole, Neosporin,

I saw my primary care physician a few time, I also saw two unrelated urologists. I underwent a cystoscopy that revealed that the inflammation doesn't extend into urethra.

I experience mild itching, burning, and stinging in my meatus. No doctors I have seen so far could conclude about my diagonosis.

I was tested for all bacterial infections except M.Genetalium which probably was covered by Doxy. I am also HSV-1 positive, however doctors agree that no outbreak can last for one year.

I would like to ask for your opinion, maybe you can suggest any test that my doctors have overseen? Apparently after such a massive attack by antibiotics, my infection must be viral. If it is not HSV that is causing the inflammation, which virus can it be? I was reading something about adenoviruses but my docotrs do not know what tests to order for it and how to treat adenoviruses. Besides they cannot last for one year.

Please help, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Paul, 28 y.o.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 26, 2007 10:09 pm

User avatar It would be quite unusual for a virus to cause continuous symptoms for a year, including adenovirus. To test for viruses there are several methods. Probably for your case, I would suggest a meatal swab done with an oral viral swab that is then sent for viral culture.

Given the presence of your symptoms for a year, I would be more suspicious of a contact dermatitis or allergy causing your symptoms.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the best next step for you to find the cause of your symptoms. I think the viral cultures are still a good idea, even though less likely. You may also want to see an allergist to see if there is any potential allergy to clothing, etc.

Paul - Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:46 pm

AGE=28
SEX=MALE
Past diagnoses=UNKNOWN
Past surgeries=Cystoscopy
Family history=?
Current Medications=NONE

Hi Doctor, here is an update.

Non-specific viral culture was requested - the lab ran HSV-1 test only (negative). PSA<3.9mg = prostate is OK.

I forgot to mention: my meatus is always moist. Can it be that it is just an irritation from my foreskin since I am uncircumcised ?? I really would like to avoid circumcision? Paul

It would be quite unusual for a virus to cause continuous symptoms for a year, including adenovirus. To test for viruses there are several methods. Probably for your case, I would suggest a meatal swab done with an oral viral swab that is then sent for viral culture.

Dear Participants of the forum,

Here is a list of meds I tried:

I was tested for all bacterial infections except M. Genetalium which probably was covered by Doxy. I am also HSV-1 positive, however doctors agree that no outbreak can last for one year.

Paul, 28 y. o.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:29 am

User avatar Hi Paul,

It may, indeed, be due to constant moisture. Drying the area through out the day may help some.