Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Enlarged lymph node in groin

Otter - Wed May 16, 2007 2:12 am

My daughter is almost 8 yrs old. She just spent the last two months fighting a UTI/bladder infection (e-coli) with 5 different antibiotics. During this time, we are almost certain she also passed one or more kidney stones or crystals due to crystals appearing in lab work (urine). Because symptoms of both are sometimes very similar, it was sometimes confusing as to what was causing her discomfort/pain. Then a lymph node in her groin became enlarged and remains enlarged, even though she seems to be over everything else. I was told there was no connection to the UTI infection or kidney stones. But.... I then read that if a Dr. thinks you might have kidney stones, he/she will check your groin for swollen lymph nodes when doing a physical exam. Is this true? Is it common to have swollen lymph nodes with kidney stones? Do I need to be concerned that it remains somewhat enlarged?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:46 am

Common causes of lymph node enlargement include infections in any part of the area drained by this group of lymph node.

The inguinal lymph nodes drain the lower limb (leg, foot, and thigh), vulva, vagina, perineum, gluteal region, lower abdominal wall, and lower anal canal.

Any history of previous infection in these parts of the body may result in inguinal lymph node enlargement that does not disappear completely after recovery from infection; instead they remain as shotty small swellings.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal.

It is not uncommon to have inguinal lymph node enlargement due to lower urinary tract infection (severe urethritis).

A coincidentally enlarged lymph node due to other causes is possible too.

It is important to follow lymph node size and number by serial physical examination regardless their apparent bengin cause.

Keep us updated.