Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Urine Retention

Diligent - Tue May 22, 2007 5:09 pm

Hi to all,

I went to see urologist last week he says i have urine retention i had bladder scan after going for a wee and had 512mls of urine still left in bladder i have no sensation when i need a wee and also have had other symptoms which are in docs records such as fatique ll the time,loss of balance,urgency to urinate,vertigo,muslce spasms am on baclofen,blurred vision,numbness,tingling,heavyness in legs,ect; i suspect multiple sclerosis but doc says i have fibromylagia which i don't agree with.

I have to go on the 8th of June to be shown how to do intermittent self catherization for urine retention which i think is the first part of ms.

What do i do about the rest of symptoms ect.

Diligent.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 22, 2007 7:09 pm

User avatar Multiple sclerosis can present in a large number of ways. It is possible that your symptoms are related to MS. The diagnosis of MS is dependent on having multiple neurological symptoms in different locations of the body at different times.

An MRI of the brain and possibly spinal cord can be helpful to look for lesions consistent with MS.

Given your symptoms I would recommend you talk with your doctor about a brain/spinal cord MRI. With your urinary retention, the spinal MRI will also help look for other things such as a tethered spinal cord.

I am not an expert in fibromyalgia but I do not believe that urinary retention is typical of fibromyalgia (although some of the treatment medications can cause this).