Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Penis pain, urine retention, side pain....

Eric_24 - Tue May 29, 2007 9:19 pm

Sorry if this is long. I'll do my best to keep it short.

Around Mid april I'd occasioanlly feel a burning sensation in my penis. Soon this was accompanied by an odd feeling in my bladder. Not really a pain, perhaps a pressure. Around the 20th i'd have these feelings and feel as if i needed to urinate. I would only go in small amounts, so feel the need to urinate frequently. Perhaps a few hours later i would be able to urinate in healthy amounts again. The next couple days there was no problems. Then on a sunday night they came back with a force. The burning, the bladder feeling which turned into pain. I was unable to urinate and would only manage barely a dribble, which also felt like razor blades to pass. The dribble i could manage then turned pink, then from that time on every dribble i passed was accompanied by one or two blood clots.

I went to the hospital. Was put into a room, they checked my vitals. After talking with me took blood, gave me a few pills and took the dribble of urine i could manage to pass. Eventually from the pressure i was cathatorized. After being cathatorized nothing came out. She sought the DR and he did something manually and i guess it dislodged blood clots which were blocking me up. I had a bag or two of water hooked up and they flushed me out. I was sent home in the morning with a 7 day prescription of Biaxcin, bioxin... something like that, 4 pills a day, at 500mg. Days after i would still have the issue of only managing to pass small amounts of urine frequently. I need to note that at no time except the one night with the blood clots did i feel any pain while urinating.

I saw a urologist and he came to the conclusion i probably gave myself a serious UTI by having unprotected se and not urinating afterwards.

About mid last week symptioms came back. Felt like i needed to urinate, could only pass small amounts which i passed frequently. Later on i'd be able to pass normal amounts. I'd get sudden little pains in my penis and bladder, not a burning this time but little pains. So i got to the hospital thinking i'm getting another UTI. My urine came back clean. He gave me an ultrasound and my bladder had almost nothing in it yet i felt a pressure. He told me to make an appointment with the urologist and put my on a 14 day trial of ciprofloxacin, 2 pills a day at 500mg. He also checked my prostate.

Juring this last episode, and days prior to the urine problems coming back i'd started getting a little pain on my left side, not in the back but right in the love handle. Later the night of its first appearance i felt it in my right side. And have periodically over the past week. Not often. Not sevear.

I need to note i've been checked for STD's, blood and the penis swab. I also need to note that i'd been drinking alcohol over the weekend, everyday. But that then, and juring the last spell when i drank alcohol i didnt feel any pains and i never had any issues urinating, I'd also urinate to what i'd think would be a bladder full at those times. I started the antibiotic last last week and drank alcohol on friday night and saturday night, quite a bit. And yesturday (monday) i had the worst pain as of yet, and the most retention. Yet today the pain feels better.

I'm 24, male, had my gallbladder taken out about a year ago. Have Diverticulosis and a fatty liver. There is a history or kidney and bladder problems on My mothers side.
 Eric_24 - Tue May 29, 2007 9:26 pm

[quote="Eric_24"].quote]

I'm sorry i forgot to not that jusring this spell i feel like a stinging in my urithra. Sort of like i did for the few days after they pulled the cathator a month prior. Its not often.

And something else i noticed was the next 3-4 days after they pulled that cathator out i felt like a tickle. i little tingly from what seemed like my anus on the inside up into my penis. I've felt this one or twice this time.
 Eric_24 - Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Eric_24 wrote:
Eric_24 wrote:.quote].

I'm sorry for making this longer but i've had no feedback and stuffs happend. Since taking the cipro... antibiotic my symptoms havent gotten much better. The penis pain is little more then a slight occasional sting which is good. And the bladder isnt really havin any pain but dose feel like its full. The side pain on the other hand has gotten worse. Last night i wasnt hardly able to urinate at all and i felt full. I went so often and would only manage a small amount but was determined to make it till the morning to go to the hospital. I went to bed around 4 for having to go so often. When i woke up in mid morning i could manage now to pass more, not much, maybe half a measuring cup.

I went today to the hospital thinking maybe its a kidney infection, they took urine. Clean, took blood to check my kindeys...clean. checked prostate again...all good. So i'm left in the dark.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:45 am

User avatar Dear Eric:

Reading your description, it seems like someone would have thought to check for a kidney stone. Since it seems so obvious to me, I'm thinking that part of what you wrote didn't get through to the doctors you saw.

Could it be that they checked for kidney stone but you didn't know they did? Did anyone do something called an ultrasound? This is when they spread gel on your skin, then press on your skin where the gel is, and a picture (sort of looks like a weather map) shows up on a monitor.

The things you mentioned that make me think of a kidney stone include: symptoms associated with alcohol intake, pain that comes and goes and its location, stinging sensation in the urethra, the urinary frequency you've had off and on, and family history of kidney problems.

The frequency could be a due to ureteral spasm (ureters connect kidneys with bladder), which happens because the stone is irritating to the ureter tissue. Alcohol intake is a clue to the type of kidney stone, which determines the symptoms. There are calcium, struvite, and uric acid stones. I'm thinking that you may be most likely to form uric acid stones, which tend to present like gravel rather than discrete, single stones. If anyone in your family history has had kidney stones or gout, then I would say uric acid stones are your problem.

Good luck!
 anthony_2009 - Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi Eric_24,

Im not sure whether you ever check this but, if so could you please contact me and let me know what the status of your condition is, or what the problem was if you ever found out. I am a 25 year old male, with all of the same symptoms as you have or had. I am in need of help and no doctor knows what my problem is or how to cure it. Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 am

User avatar Hi Eric_24,
I will repeat what i often advice my clients...
Get your sexual partner also examined for UTI and treated if necessary.
I believe your urologist must have excluded anatomic abnormalities (strictures of urethra & others).
Good luck!