Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Large Blood Red Spot On Penis.

imhappyanyways - Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi, to start of want to say thanks for alowing me to post this and try to clear up some questions.
I'm 18, and male, i have 1 prior surgery and that was to my arm for "strawberry?", my family history has had diabetes.
Now the subject.
Well start off i currently have cold sores on the lips.
Now for last 2 months ive had 2 accounts of cold sores on the lips. And for last 2 months ive notice i don't know if its connected to the cold sores or not a distinct odor in the genital region, and on and off give or take a week before my mouth breaks out with the cold sores, my right side of my shaft of penis jsut below the head, becomes blood red and the smell pursits, some swelling on 1 accurance, but no blisters, bumps, or anything other then that, just a blood red and some smell.
The size of the redness is about the size of thumb. It does cause some burning with fricition. After the first accurance of the red spot it left darkened skin for the persisting time until this resent accurance. I am still a [u]virgin[/u], and havent had oral sex either. so question is, could the cold sores(HSV-1?) weaken my immune system and alow a skin condition or a infection to attack the skin in that area? Or does the signs show that i might have genital herpes?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:45 pm

User avatar Your area on your penis does not particularly sound like a herpes lesion. These typically follow the pattern that develops on the lips as well (more blister like).

It is possible for the HSV-1 virus that commonly causes cold sores to infect the genital region and produce genital herpes outbreaks. So, it is possible that the HSV-1 virus was spread to your genital region (possibly by your hand touching your lip with a cold sore then subsequently touching the skin in your genital area). This is fairly uncommon, though.

The darkened area after the resolution of the first episode is indicative that there was some inflammation in the area. This makes me think it isn't simple a blood vessel area or something of that nature.

Unfortunately I really can't say what it is. My best recommendation is to visit your doctor while you have the spot. This way it can be examined and even cultured for the HSV virus if needed.