Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Urethritis Caused Uti ?

Cheche - Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi, im 19 years old, male. this has been an ongoing problem. almost 2 years ago i had a outbreak on my penis - i never had sex before at the time. and i went to see the doctors, they thought it was herpes, later that wasnt the case as i never had sexual intercourse, i then went to a secialist who said it was dermititis and told me to get 2% cream to take off sores, that worked, but i still have an inflamed urethra which is still very sensitive to touch, and is pink redish half way down with very small sores n top of penis hole, and a year ago i had symptons of a uti, this was all before sexual intercourse. i still have these symptons, it looks to me like it could be non specific urethritis? as caused by iritation that later caused a uti? or uti caused the urethritis? is it bad leaving it for 2 years? how could this happen before intercourse? thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Regardless which started first, I advise you to investigate the two possible problems.

The first one is the urinary symptoms that suggest UTI. A simple urine analysis and urine culture will give us clue about whether there is infection or not. In some cases with urinary discharge the skin of the penis gets inflamed and dermatitis results.

Second you should consult a dermatologist about these skin lesions that are recurrent for two years. It might be a form of chronic skin disease that needs special investigations and treatment. Skin inflammation in this part may predispose to infection and urethritis which gives similar clinical picture to UTI and in severe untreated cases results in ascending UTI.
This is a more possible scenario according to your description.

Some males who do masturbation especially without using enough lubricants have simialr problem with dermatitis and urethritis.

In any case proper treatment for both conditions is essential for complete recovery.

I hope you find this answer useful. Please let me know if you have further questions.