Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: odor absorbent

biman - Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:31 pm

I am a 28 years old married F in good health condition.Sexually life is not very regular and active.I have a question about a very embarrassing situation. In 2005 I had to spend almost 25 hrs or more in a airplane while travelling internationally.I had a couple of stop overs though.Naturally I had to use the latrine in the flight and the airport restrooms. During that period I noticed after 3-4 hrs after I board in the plane, my underpants started becoming a little smelly n wet, it felt more awkward in course of time, I tried washing and powdering myself as long as possible, but that's was not much of a help. In 2006 I went for a pap smear test as a part of my annual checkup and the result was all normal, no abnormalities, no infections.Normally I tend to sweat quite easily and this slight wetness and a very little discharge is sometimes there, specially before I get my period every month.It draws my attention only when I have to wear undergarments for longer time, otherwise while at home everything is normal. I am not very comfortable wearing capries ,pants , jeans or anything of that sort all the time.Please suggest me whether I should use any odor absorbent pads or other ready made methods that I am not aware of for prolonged journey.Where can I find these products?
After my period is over each month, I feel the area is quite dry and no discharge is there....it lasts for 5-6 days and then gradually the dryness is gone.Is it normal?
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:10 pm

User avatar Dear Biman,
First of all I wish to commend you for paying attention to your overall health and being sure to include your doctor in your medical decisions. I trust your TB test turned out negative. And I commend you for attending to routine feminine checkups like your pap smear. Therefore I am going to guess that you may have already checked with your doctor and found out that there is nothing clinically of concern regarding your personal odor issue. If that is so, and there is nothing clinically of any concern at this time then yes, I would recommend you experiment with underpads and find the one that seems to be best absorbent for you. These pads can be changed out as often as needed without fear of irritation - since they are not invasive. Some brands boast on "ultra-thin" and have nighttime brands that are touted as being very absorbent. These could be changed out as often as you felt necessary, discarding the used one in an appropriate receptacle. At certain times of the month you will normally have an increased vaginal discharge, if you know the timing of the increase based on your normal cycles, you can better prepare for your long journeys. Perhaps even feel comfortable in capris again!