Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Severe abdominal pains

kissb4me3 - Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Hello. For the past few months, I've been having pains in my abdomin. They have been painful but not so much that I couldn't go on with normal activities. The past week though, the pain has become so severe that I can only walk a few feet without feeling as if I'm about to pass out and I can barely move.

I'm 22, female and the most 'tummy troubles' that I've had are bad cramps at period time and an appendectomy when I was 19. I'm not on any medications other than cranberry herbal pills to help prevent a UTI and as far as I know, there isn't any family history of what is happening to me other than my mother having C-Diff over a year ago after an operation gone bad.

The one thing that I have found is that my body can't handle anything that is made with or cooked in grease or I have diarrea for a few days.

I'm not sure if what I have is a UTI. It's not anymore painful when I urinate than it is when I'm just sitting down.

I am going on a 4 day vacation this weekend and hopefully will see a doctor when I get back but is there something I could do while on vacation to relieve the pain so I can have a good time?

Thank you in advance.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:22 am

User avatar Dear kissb4me3:

This is a potentially serious condition. Is there any chance that you are pregnant? If so, your condition is emergent, and you must attend to it immediately to avoid very serious complications.

What I'm getting at is ectopic pregnancy, which has a similar presentation. Your symptoms could be a chronic kidney stone, but the location of your pain is not quite specific to that.

Whatever the cause of your pain is, I do believe that it is serious enough to warrant an evaluation before you go on vacation. Perhaps there is an urgent care clinic nearby? Please let us know what happens.
 kissb4me3 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:20 am

Thank you very much for your response. There isn't any chace at all that I'm pregnant. I called my doctor this morning and while I'm feeling a little better today, I went ahead and made an appointment to see him.